Can Windows Update break a bios mod?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by jeraldjunkmail, Mar 15, 2012.

1. jeraldjunkmail

jeraldjunkmail MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2010
    I have a perfecly modded bios, and it has been fine for almost a year. To my surprise, Windows just came up as no longer genuine. Any reason this might happen? I did a scandisk and it repaired a few lost clusters... But that is all I can think of...

Cheers!

2. Oery

Oery MDL Junior Member

Nov 14, 2010
    It didn't happen on mine.
    Mod BIOS 2 years ago. Win7 Ultimate x86-SP1, all update, still genuine & validated.

3. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    Really? What does your mind say? :D

A few lost few lost clusters, potentially could have crippled the tokens.dat file... so maybe simply reinstall the Certificate

4. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Or may be you need the WAT update ;)

5. derausgewanderte

derausgewanderte MDL Senior Member

Jul 21, 2009
    funny I see this. the same exact thing happened to me. woke up this morning to find my machine not genuine. I had this running on a modded bios for years with no problems ever. running on daz for now works. will try to reinstall certificate later and see if it was just that.
    coincidence?
    maybe, maybe not....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. jeraldjunkmail

Aug 31, 2010
    Replacing the certificate and key didn't work. Time to reinstall I suppose. Sigh. I assume this was due to me banging my laptop around as I was traveling recently. Will check the SMART status from a linux live cd...

7. derausgewanderte

derausgewanderte MDL Senior Member

Jul 21, 2009
    ok, removed Daz loader, made a freshly non-genuine windows 7. installed certificate and key via cmd and activated. all fine again.
    coincidence :biggrin:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. jeraldjunkmail

Aug 31, 2010
    If your BIOS modded pc goes non genuine, perhaps MS has found a way to detect BIOS mods. They are about release Windoes 8 after all, and might have rolled out something slick like that? Purely speculative of course...

9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Speculative indeed considering there have been thousands of bios mods done, before it was due to blacklisted Levono OEM:SLP key now very few people have none genuine problem usually cause by problem on their system or certain services not running.

10. z00ps00p

z00ps00p MDL Novice

Feb 13, 2008
    Same problem here. reinstall cert and product key, no difference. :confused:

11. z00ps00p

z00ps00p MDL Novice

Feb 13, 2008
    Turns out to be. installed WAT update and did another legit check, turned into genuine. Then non-genuine notification from MSE etc. also resolved.

12. antech71

antech71 MDL Novice

Oct 21, 2010
    That's news to me. I've modded bios on all 5 of my computers (3 laptops and 2 desktops) and all stayed genuine for the past 2 years even after SP1 was installed. May have to keep an eye out in the future to see if anything changes.

13. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    No need to keep an eye out bios mods have never been compromised.

14. Jamz

Jamz MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2010
    What WAT Update exactly are you guys referring to? I'm having the exact same issue. (Not using blacklisted key bios modded 2 years ago). Non Genuine msg just popped up 2 days ago...

15. glow

glow MDL Novice

Apr 30, 2008
    Activation not compromised.

Go into Task Scheduler > Microsoft > Windows > WAT

Then, disable this to stop getting non-genuine messages.

16. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    ive had to uninstall key and cert from older 1.x daz loader on some pcs .. and used 2.x and works fine.. i think its due to key or cert being blacklisted ?

17. Jamz

Jamz MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2010
    I'm not using any loaders, using a modified bios with slic. I tried a new key just in case but no go. The OP stated he installed a WAT update but googling that only brought up the original KB from last year which is already installed...

I disabled the Scheduler, just concerned why it started popping up in the first place.

18. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    time to run the voatk

something was modded in system.
    tried?
    sfc /scannow

check hdd S.M.A.R.T. status ?

19. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009