Can you access a folder on a attached VHD via a standard SMB network

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by PrimusZa1, Mar 6, 2010.

1. PrimusZa1

PrimusZa1 MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2009
    I have a VHD that I created and wanted to store media in it. When I attach it in Win 7 can I share a folder on the attached VHD across a network?

2. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Yes. :)
    Once you mount the .VHD Windows 7 will treat it as just another partition.

But...
    You'll need to re-mount the .VHD each time you re-boot your system, then re-share it. :cool:

3. PrimusZa1

PrimusZa1 MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2009
    OK I attached the VHD, went to the folder I wanted to share and made the "everyone" group read/write access for sharing and apply the settings. In advanced Network Settings I have Discovery, File and Print Fearing, and Public Folder access "on" I have password protected sharing "off". I can see the folder on the network from a machine running XP Pro,a machine running Vista Ult. and machine running Win 7 Ult. but when I try to access it I get a "Access Denied" and the text about contact the network administrator (me) about getting access. The weird part is I can share any other drive or folder that is on a physical HD across the network without any issues. I was wondering if I was just missing a step.

Also this is the right forum to post this question in isn't it?

4. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Remember that 'Everyone' is just the 'Users' on that PC, not Everyone you know. :D

Add the user (with matching Password) to PC the share is on, then you should be able to access the share via the 'User' and the 'Everyone' groups. :)

If you can't, you may have the same problem i'm having.
    I can access the shares on mounted .VHD's but not when they're shared through Hype-V :confused:

5. PrimusZa1

PrimusZa1 MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2009
    I was trying to share it without having to build another user account on the Win 7 PC. Example, I can share a folder on my D: hard drive and access it anywhere on my network with full control just by adding the everyone group and giving that group read/write access. I was thinking that maybe there was something different (limitation?) about mounting the VHD so you could access the folder and files inside on the Windows 7 machine then sharing a folder from that VHD while it was still mounted across the network so other computers can access that folder. Sorta like I put a bunch of mp3's in a folder on my VHD and I want to access those MP3's on another machine on the network when the VHD is mounted. Thanks for your help BTW

6. Vivek Rishi

Vivek Rishi MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    You can use Windows Virtual PC for Windows 7, to launch the virtual machine associated with that VHD, and then share any file or folder inside the virtual machine, then you don't have to share them again & again every time unlike you do when mounting a VHD on Windows 7. People on network can discover & access the shares as long as that VM is powered on.

I believe you already knew that, right ? But if you can't use it owing to non presence of Hardware Assisted Virtualisation support in your processor, then Microsoft have one update(unofficial though) which would eliminate this prerequisite, and you can use it without any HAV support in your processor.