Can you stop living your life from behind your cell phone?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by melted, Jan 25, 2017.

1. melted

melted MDL Novice

Jan 17, 2015
    #1 melted, Jan 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    For those of you that don't know, children aren't forming real life communication skills anymore.
    I won't get into the psychology of it, you can look it up. But make sure you're being good little sheep
    and do it on your phone. :biggrin: Everyone is tethered to theirs and the information gathered by what you
    do with it, where you go, eat, buy, etc is big big money. They are coming out with more and more ways
    of using metadata, I can't say all of them are bad. Some of them are actually interesting and amazing.
    But most of them just creep me out.

Anyway, I started this post to mention something I think is wonderful.
    overyondr.com

washingtonpost.com/entertainment/alicia-keys-is-done-playing-nice-your-phone-is-getting-locked-up-at-her-shows-now/2016/06/16/366c15aa-33af-11e6-95c0-2a6873031302_story.html

This is sort of interesting:
    "A new patent granted to Apple — for infrared technology that could disable smartphone cameras remotely from the stage — might make those pouches obsolete one day. But the idea is the same."
    But in the end someone will end up exploiting it for bad purposes.

Ok, have a wonderful day! Pay no attention to the man behind the green curtain.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    I'm not dumb to have a smartphone, I'm smart enough to have a dumbphone.

And when I want to take photos, I use a compact camera that still does a better job.

3. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    I assume you mean cellphones.
    I view mine as a neccessary evil which costs way too much per year and 99.5% of my time on it is spent "playing" with telemarketers.
    The other 0.5% of the time it actually comes in handy.

Recent Example:
    Telemarketers calls with a great deal on auto insurance, and I agree that in fact it does sound like a great deal and keep the conversation going.
    Then he tries to make the sale and I ask him how much to insure boots, he of course want's to know what I mean and after a little while longer I explain I don't own a car.
    All in all I have wasted about 20 minutes of his time before he hangs up. :D

4. nova-s

nova-s MDL Addicted

Aug 22, 2010
    i only switch off "flightmode" if i want to make a call...

5. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    I usually forget them. LOL I have a smart phone which has no sim. I only use it where I have WiFi access.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Yes, nova-s and dhjohns…. It is as simple as that.

That is the way to go, or you will turn into something like JFKI, who spends his life talking to some rip-off monkey.

I don’t even want to get into the actual catastrophic future way society will “function”, that the thread starter writes about.
    Everybody is free to retard their kids in whatever way they choose. The actual joke is, that these will be later precisely the people who complain loudest about the “unfair class-society”.

7. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  8. mbpowner

mbpowner Guest

I probably wouldn't be here otherwise

9. totalbeliever

totalbeliever MDL Junior Member

Oct 22, 2015
    My take as well. As long as there is wifi, I am good to go. :)