Cannot access a Windows XP PC from a Windows 7 PC

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by markmadras, Apr 2, 2011.

1. markmadras

markmadras MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2010
    Tried every fix I can find, there has to be a way to do this.

Windows XP Pro SP3 (very old and slow PC) can see the shared files on the Windows 7 Home PC (build 7600) on a wireless home network. But not the other way around. The windows 7 PC can see the XP machine but cannot get access.

Everything is set as it should be, both have the same workgroup name and different computer names. I have plenty of experience fixing other problems but this one has got me well and truly stuck.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

2. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    #2 zahnoo, Apr 2, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
    Simple sharing disabled and drive and folder sharing setup with proper permissions on the XP machine? I had a mix on my LAN for months and never had a problem sharing but I understand how frustrating this can be.

When you say old and slow, how old and slow? I've got 7 running on two netbooks and three old AMD socket A desktops. Once I disabled animations, slide opens and the like (which I hate anyway) they're all noticeably quicker than XP ever was. The socket A motherboards are circa 2004-2005 and Microsoft supplied all the drivers I needed for them to run perfectly. My experience is 7 is not nearly as picky as you might think on old machines.

Unless multitasking is a priority for you, it's not for me, I'd suggest you think about moving your old computer to 7. I'm sure others here will express their opinion on that.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. 皆さんこんにちはマギです

Feb 24, 2011
    you may have Administrative Share disabled on Win7.

Go into Network and check the sharing options.

it sounds like you're an expert, so you probably just have to step away for a bit.
    it's probably something stupid you missed.

Also.. keep in mind Win7 Ultimate is required for joining Domains.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Josh Cell

Josh Cell MDL Developer

Jan 8, 2011
    Well, you can solve the problem this way

Select the shared folder, click Properties> Security> edit> add> enter all> check full control> click ok> ok> ok

Try accessing again

This happened to me, this method worked nicely

5. markmadras

markmadras MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2010
    Thank you all for your replies.

I have since found that the XP firewall had the exceptions disabled, now that is cleared I get the error message saying that I don't have permission to access the folders on the win7 PC.

I will try the suggestions above for the sharing settings and see how it goes.

6. markmadras

markmadras MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2010
    #6 markmadras, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
    (OP)
    Still stuck on this one.

Just to see what would happen I tried another Windows 7 PC right next to the XP machine and the wireless router and still no joy, but again the XP machine could open the shared folders on the other win7 PC. It just won't get through, some obscure permissions issue, going the other way:confused:.

7. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    A couple of months ago I disconnected a remote session with my one Windows 7 Ultimate machine. Thirty minutes later I couldn't reconnect and haven't been able to since, but sharing has not changed. I'd been remoting in successfully for several months.

I feel your pain.:wallbash:

8. glow

glow MDL Novice

Apr 30, 2008
    Do you use a password to log onto the XP machine?

9. woebetide

woebetide MDL Member

May 28, 2007
    @markmadras
    Is your connection in Windows 7 setup as Home network?
    Networks and Sharing Center ->view your active networks
    If Home network change it to Work network.
    See if that helps.

10. markmadras

markmadras MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2010
    #10 markmadras, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
    (OP)
    No, the password is blank. I also tried to set up new user account on the win7 machine with the same details, but no change.

Thanks, but that is already done.

11. pierrejaquet

pierrejaquet MDL Member

Jan 14, 2010
    file sharing with windows is just so random and buggy it's faster to make transfer over usb key or external harddrive, also you won't need to open all your network settings and f*ck up your network security. Plenty of noobs at my university messed up the network settings on their private computers and guess what I can access and modify their files whenever their are connected on the wifi.....lol

12. markmadras

markmadras MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2010
    Thanks for the words of wisdom, but using a USB key, although full proof, is not the solution. I really wanted to figure out why the problem exists. It is a secure encrypted home network so no neighbours can tap into it. As I said earlier in the thread I made a trouble free connection between Win7 Ultimate and Windows XP Home (with my own PC's) simply by setting the workgroup name to the same on both and on the Win7 I changed the network set up to Work instead of the default Home. The only difference on the problem network is that it is XP Pro and the Win7 is Home.

I would guess the XP Pro has all the same features, plus some additional facilities, so that should not cause a problem, my suspicion is that there is something in the Win7 Ulitmate that is missing from Win7 Home. Or, the person that installed the XP did something in the registry to block access from other PC's, question is, what? Although, he apparently failed to get the connection as well.

I had installed the LLTD from microsoft as I knew that was needed, does anyone know how to check if it is actually running? Should it appear under services, and if so by what name?

13. woebetide

woebetide MDL Member

May 28, 2007
    #13 woebetide, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  14. glow

glow MDL Novice

Apr 30, 2008
    Try this.

Using whatever account you now log onto the XP machine, reset the password and don't leave it blank.

In the W7 machine local group policy, there may be a setting prohibiting connection with a client using a blank password.

I encountered a similar situation once with Server 2008.

15. glow

glow MDL Novice

Apr 30, 2008
    Add a password to the XP account.

Also add some password to the account for the W7 machine, if it doesn't have one.

Passwords don't have to be the same.

Reboot both machines and see what happens.

Also, can you access in either direction using Remote Desktop?

16. markmadras

markmadras MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2010
    #16 markmadras, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
    (OP)
    Thanks for some more ideas.

The XP machine does appear in the full map on the win7 and under the Network list in explorer.

I've tried creating another user account with same name on the win7 but left the password blank to correspond with the XP, I will try it with a password.

gpedit does not exist (only microsoft could tell you why) on win7 Home. I had found a registry edit for the LLTD responder and installed LLTD on the XP.

I have not disabled the services for tcp/ip netbios or ip helper but will check they are on.

17. robzombie

robzombie MDL Novice

Jun 28, 2010
    Try to login as admin on both pc maybe it could solved your problem regarding administrative right

18. markmadras

markmadras MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2010
    Acrsn,

I have tried disabling just the XP firewall, but will have a go at both, thanks.

Robzombie,

There is only one account on each PC and both are Admin accounts with full permissions, but thanks anyway.

19. markmadras

markmadras MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2010
    Woebetide, thanks.

Simple file sharing on the XP was turned on but I have since turned it off and granted full permissions on the Shared Folders. It made no difference which way it was set. Re the link: Coincidently I found that very same post this morning and have covered everything in it before.

I have found a reg fix for XP:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CURRENTCONTROLSET/CONTROL/LSA Change value of "RestrictAnonymous" from 1 to 0

Not tried it yet, have you ever come across this before?

Do you know how to check if LLTD, which I installed on the XP, is actually running, can't see anything relating to it in services?