cannot access my user account in windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by anniyan, Jan 4, 2021.

1. anniyan

anniyan MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2015
    hi,
    i had accidentally messed up the security permissions of the c:\windows\temp folder. so i was unable to install some programs. to rectify this, i used windows-repair v4.10.2 by tweaking.com to reset all the permissions of my OS drive. it worked well, but after that i am unable to login to my standard user account. only my other (administrator) account is accessible. i found that the user folder in c:/users/<username> is intact. but windows wont recognise it. i copied that folder to my external HDD, then created a new account under the same name, then copied back the folder, but it did not work. instead windows 10 creates a new folder named in the format <username>.<computername> although i specified only the required <username> when creating the account. how can i use the old data to recover my old user-account without going for an inplace installation?

any native or 3rd-party solution which is FREE is fine.

my OS is genuine windows 10 20h1 single language x64 without any modifications.

many thanks in advance :)

2. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. anniyan

anniyan MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2015
    #4 anniyan, Jan 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    (OP)
    i know my password.
    netplwiz shows no such user account.

so i restored windows to the time before running windows-repair, and got back my account. but now UWP apps are not working; settings app crashes randomly. and some other windows files seem to be corrupted too. i tried to do an inplace re-installation, but there is no option to "keep files and settings"; there is option only to clean-install. so i ran DISM followed by SFC, but it reports no problems. any solution to repair this installation using my windows ISO?

EDIT: i am unable to do repair-installation using the ISO. unfortunately, i have downloaded the ENGLISH iso, while my installation is SINGLE LANGUAGE edition. is it possible to convert 1 of the 2 to the other?

4. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
    Not unless someone uploaded the delta hash files for that specific single language version. This is why I don't like single language version & never understood the need for its existence. It is not like having usual home version with all languages will matter to someone who is going to use kms anyway for pro/enterprise version. My opinion, just convert your win 10 install to regular pro version by entering the generic pro key & then use kms activation.

5. anniyan

anniyan MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2015
  6. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
    Nothing will be void, if you use kms activation then your genuine oem license is just not being used. If in future you reinstall this specific win 10 single language version that came pre-installed in your laptop then it will be automatically activated after connecting to net. If you have an android phone lying around then I suggest using this app which is just 5mb in size & will run a kms server in your mobile whenever you want which you can then use to activate any kms enabled MS product anywhere you go plus nothing gets installed on pc.
    https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/kisskms-2-7-4-kms-server-app-android.72455/

7. anniyan

anniyan MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2015
    it seems that the same ISO (HOME X64 ENGLISH) can be used to install single-language edition too. i found out that installing 2 latest KB's shows the option to retain the files and settings.

but the repair installation did not solve my problems. as i had mentioned earlier, i was able to recover my account, but the windows store app and UWP apps are not working due to messed up permissions of the corresponding folder. any solution to reset that particular folder and its permissions to factory defaults, without having to clean-install? i tried tweaking-windows-repair, but it says that for 20h2, that fix is not available. :(