Cannot Activate Vista Ultimate

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by rozel, Aug 21, 2010.

1. rozel

rozel MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2010
    Hi

My first post so please be patient with me :)

I resized my partitions where I have installed Windows Seven Ultimate 64-bit on one and Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit on another. This resulted in the MBR on the partition where Vista resides being overwritten and this has had the effect of knocking out the activation of my Vista OS.

I do not use Windows Seven anymore as it's corrupt but that partition (D) has the bootloader files etc on it. I was going to copy over the MBR to (C) on which resides Vista and which I use exclusively.

However I cannot get my Vista reactivated no matter what I do - I am attaching a screen shot from the loader program - no matter what I do activation does not result.

Can somebody help please?

How long can I use Vista for now that it is not Activated? - it says "Activate Today"!

TIA

Paul

Attached Files:

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    And you can not just mod your BIOS? And be done with loader?

sebus

3. rozel

rozel MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2010
    Not really sure what you mean - perhaps you could expand a little more, then I will research this forum - I'm just not sure what modifying the BIOS, even if I knew how, would make any difference. I did say be patient :)

Hope you can point me in the right direction

Paul

4. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    The BIOS forum.

5. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    #5 sebus, Aug 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  6. rozel

rozel MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2010
    Right then firstly thank you from a real novice - yes after much looking around, I managed to sort out my Vista by use of the "Windows.7.Loader.eXtreme.Edition.v3.503-NAPALUM" software. I am dual-booting Vista Ultimate 64-bit and Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

I managed to get things working by installing the Boot Loader using the MBR SLIC Loader 0.6 option.

That was last week and I was able then to backup everything that was important to me to get Windows 7 working properly - it wasn't before, but over the week I managed to repair it and it loaded beautifully.

It too needed Activating, so using exactly the same software and method I got Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit activated no problem.

However it seems to have written another new Windows Boot Manager menu and this doesn't seem to work properly - this is what happens on booting: -

Somehow (because I uninstalled the software some time ago) the Boot manager from Acronis appears - I select Vista Seven and it then boots to the Wndows Boot Manager Screen giving me 3 options: - 1. Windows XE Loader 2. Windows Vista Ultimate 3. Windows Seven Ultimate

I select option 1

It then boots to another Windows Management screen giving me 2 options: - A. Windows Vista Ultimate B. Windows Seven Ultimate

But this screen does not allow me to use the up and down arrow keys or the enter key to make my selection. It counts down as per the option I configured using the Windows 7 Loader software and boots into Windows Seven Ultimate - option B. which is the one permanently hilighted.

This is how I boot into Wiundows Seven Ultimate - and it is activated. If I bypass the XE Loader option in the first Windows Boot Manager screen, neither Windows Vista or Windows Seven are activated after they have booted up.

How can I sort this? It's no big deal if it can't be, because in a week or two I will be deleting Windows Vista anyway, but I do have a number of questions please - could some kind person please help?

1. Anyway to "unfreeze" the second Windows Boot Manager screen options?

2. The Windows Loader software shows my Windows Seven as "Activated" with 2 rearms remaining. There is a dash "-" under Remaining Days. What exactly do these 2 boxes mean?

3. Is the way I have activated Windows Seven still allowing my Windows OS to count down in some way? - I gather I started out with 4 Rearms after reading stuff on these forums now I'm down to 2.

4. Obviously I don't want to run the risk of Activation failing in the future after I have loaded all my programs to Windows Seven and having deleted Vista. Will my software remain activated permanently - if not how can I monitor any count-down process?

5. I'm attaching a screen shot using the Loader software: -

Can I somehow get back to 4 rearms? If not am I right in thinking that the ultimate way is to have my Bios modded? I am using an Asus P5K Deluxe (WiFi) m/b, American Megatrends Bios version 0809 - 15.2.2008. Given this is a very common board, I thought I might find a modded Bios on the Forums, but I have not had any success - maybe I am not looking in the right place(s).​

I would appreciate very much help with these related issues and would thank you in anticipation of some more help

Cheers

Paul

Attached Files:

7. rozel

rozel MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2010
    Anyone - please?

This is really important for me :)

Paul

8. BobSheep

BobSheep MDL Guru

Apr 19, 2010
    Well, what you have it's a complete mess and to try to fix it will always leave a nagging doubt as to whether it's really fixed or not.
    I think after all that it's better to re install afresh.

9. rozel

rozel MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2010
    Well that was not very helpful at all, skipping my questions entirely :( :(

I have now managed to delete the Acronis Boot Menu and successfully sorted the Windows Boot Manager out so that upon boot up, I can now boot into Windows 7 (Activated) and Windows Vista (not activated, but don't need it to be as I will be shortly uninstalling it).

This leaves the following questions from my earlier post: -

2. The Windows Loader software shows my Windows Seven as "Activated" with 2 rearms remaining. There is a dash "-" under Remaining Days. What exactly do these 2 boxes mean?

3. Is the way I have activated Windows Seven still allowing my Windows OS to count down in some way? - I gather I started out with 4 Rearms after reading stuff on these forums now I'm down to 2.

4. Obviously I don't want to run the risk of Activation failing in the future after I have loaded all my programs to Windows Seven and having deleted Vista. Will my software remain activated permanently - if not how can I monitor any count-down process?

5. Can I somehow get back to 4 rearms? If not am I right in thinking that the ultimate way is to have my Bios modded? I am using an Asus P5K Deluxe (WiFi) m/b, American Megatrends Bios version 0809 - 15.2.2008. Given this is a very common board, I thought I might find a modded Bios on the Forums, but I have not had any success - maybe I am not looking in the right place(s).

I would be grateful for some help with these please :)

Paul