Cannot Change Windows 8.1 Login Screen to Image

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by nanami-tan, Dec 5, 2018.

1. nanami-tan

nanami-tan MDL Novice

Jul 2, 2018
    I'm trying to change my login screen to have the same background image as the lock screen (Pic related is an example of what I want) pic.png

However I am only able to change it to a default color instead of an image. Do I need to perhaps register something within the registry in order to change it, or do I need to install third party software?

Thanks for the help.

2. whatever127

whatever127 MDL PHP Wizard

Nov 9, 2012
    Did you even read the post?

As far as I know It's not possible to change the background of logon screen in Windows 8.1 to anything other than one of predefined colors. Wallpaper is possible only in Windows 7 and Windows 10 (1607 and later).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Jake1702

Jake1702 MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2017
    I installed 8.1 a few days ago too. (Was previously using LTSB 2016). I was trying to find even a hacky method to do it. No luck thus far.

4. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    But why do you need it there? Look at this picture as much as you want after logging in. Logging in takes only about one second or less why is the picture needed for so short time?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. adric

adric MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2009
    Most likely because many consider a different logon screen ugly/disruptive and want to keep the same
    transitional flow from logon/autologon to desktop. Win7 lets you do this nicely.