Cannot connect to Network share when 4 digit PIN is enabled at Login.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by gnugeek, Jun 24, 2015.

1. gnugeek

gnugeek MDL Member

Nov 23, 2009
    #1 gnugeek, Jun 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
    This problem continues to exist in leaked build 10147.

1. Map a network drive in This PC as Z:
    2. Working flawlessly so far. I can browse all my files.
    3. Go to settings and under Login, create 4 digit PIN to be used to login, instead of a regular password.
    4. Reboot the PC.
    5. BAM!! Network drive is now not accessible.

ad7u1pV.png

hjZc6a7.png

6. I can ping it through Command prompt but it just doesn't map no matter what.
    7. I try to map it by typing IP address in explorer bar but still fail.
    8. Then again I go to settings, and under Login, reset PIN. Then instead of entering new PIN, close the window to disable PIN completely and switch to login by Microsoft account password.
    9. Reboot the PC.
    10. Now the network drive can be mapped and works as before.

I just can't believe a bug like this is seeping through all the builds released so far.
    I tried all the solutions but when PIN is enabled, the network drives just fail to mount no matter what

Edit 1: Sorry for pic from old build. Same issue is present in latest build 10147.

Edit 2: This problem has been solved. Go to Pg 4 and see the new way to mount Network drives in my post.

2. Scary674

Scary674 MDL Junior Member

Mar 23, 2008
    yes its a known bug. or a feature? who knows. i hope in next build or rtm it will repaired!

3. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    #3 Espionage724, Jun 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    ... I had a feeling the pin might be a reason for this to be happening, but I haven't tried to access my NAS without the pin. I can confirm this being a problem on an updated 10130 build and 10147 out-the-box. 10130 non-updated is fine with the pin enabled.

I'll give a clean install of 10147 a go without the pin and see what happens.

How known? I mentioned it twice on the 10147 thread and nobody mentioned it :p

4. gnugeek

gnugeek MDL Member

Nov 23, 2009
    This accessing network share has been a problem since first public build of Windows 10.

5. ODY123

ODY123 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2011
    How come your windows version is 10061 not 10147?

6. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    lol beat me too it

7. gnugeek

gnugeek MDL Member

Nov 23, 2009
    #7 gnugeek, Jun 24, 2015
    (OP)
    ^^

Apologies.

The pic is from older build 10061. But the issue continues even in build 10147.

Posted a pic to show you the error. Exact same thing happens in latest build.

But as usual, in true MDL style, we continue to be cynics instead of helping with the issue. :(

8. ODY123

ODY123 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2011
    Just wanted to find out which win version you have issue, not tried to pick on you. I don't have networking issue with 10130, I have 2 laptops, 1 using w7, 1 using 10130 with pin, they both can share each others folders and files, but with 10147, I can't. Did you create a homegroup in one pc, and others to join? And also turn on network discovery and file, printer sharing?

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I would say you see that wrong!!

Fact is, you didn't gave the exact infos, instead posted an picture from an much older build! If you expect some true help, first thing to do is give TRUE information which you didn't. Instead posting an picture from an older build, well known that there a lot of changes from build to build, wouldn't be valid information.

Beside of that, if you're working in Networks and access the storage drives on other computers and/or NAS drives, you should expect that PIN Codes will not work, Network Security is working with Passwords! for connect to any of the Network Devices. I would even never think about to use an PIN Code on an secure Network!

Firstly I think you should take the time and learn the Basics about Network Security and how to access Network Drives etc.!

Secondly, if you come to an Forum Like MDL, asking for help, always use VALID information and not old screenshots/Pictures, those MUST be actual from the running version, Error Messages in their full content and so on!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I'd know that some builds were working with PIN Codes for the Network. In reality, that's just unsafe and easy to crack.

As long as in both computers are the same username and passwords are used, there wouldn't any problem. Use different Usernames and Passwords and the 'game' starts! On the end of the day, it's all about what security you like to use and have?! Even if in the Final of Windows 10 PIN Codes would be allowed for Network Security, in my own company and by our customers, we wouldn't allow that!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Not the same thing but similar.
    If you setup network shares/mapping on W10 with a Local Account all works fine, but if you then switch to an MS Account the shares/maps fail.

The solution there is to add the share/map login details to the MS Account in 'Credential Manager' in control panel. I've no idea where it is in the settings app :confused:

12. ODY123

ODY123 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2011
    I know I am just too lazy to use my complicated password for 10130, so I use 4 pin instead. It wouldn't happen in my production OS.

13. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    #13 MS_User, Jun 24, 2015

Attached Files:

14. gnugeek

gnugeek MDL Member

Nov 23, 2009
    #14 gnugeek, Jun 24, 2015
    (OP)
    Did you even bother to comprehend my first post correctly. I mentioned that this problem has existed on ALL Windows 10 preview builds up till 10147.
    The same NAS network share works in Windows 8 even if 4 digit PIN is used to Log in. So you mean to say Windows 8 / 8.1 are at fault? They pose huge security issue? Wow !!

Not everyone has mission critical shared network drive. If it works in Windows 8.1, it should work the same way in Windows 10. I also tried rebooting the router, adding credentials to Windows credential manager. Nothing worked. Right now I use Qnap TS-412 and Synology NAS. Both fail to mount. But they happily work under Windows 8.1

So right now, has anyone managed to map a networked NAS drive on Windows 10 previews and also enabled 4 digit login PIN?

15. Shadykillas

Shadykillas MDL Junior Member

Mar 30, 2011
    #15 Shadykillas, Jun 24, 2015
    lmao you do relies that the pin code is not what will be sent over the network but it will be used to unlock the asymmetric encryption authentication that will send a messaged signed by the public key making the network authentication much more secure than currently used standards found in most Windows Domain environments. This pin code is only used to unlock the device and can be much longer than say 4 digits (it could probably be just about as long as a bit locker recovery key if you so wanted).

As a side note this is probably why the pin code is not working on your network. The asymmetric encryption authentication is not patched or enabled on the server you are using. I would agree that this is something that needs to be fixed though to allow of legacy connections.

16. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    #16 MS_User, Jun 24, 2015
    have u check with the NAS vendor site to see if the hardware is WIN10 compatible....or it need some kind of network software or driver. also hows the NAS connected, to the router with a cat 5 cable or USB 3.0......put up your specs maybe a few good pics.

17. gnugeek

gnugeek MDL Member

Nov 23, 2009
    NAS is QNAP TS-412. It connects to my ASUS RT-AC68U using a CAT6 cable. My PC also connects to ASUS router using a CAT6 cable. The firmware of the NAS is QTS 4.1 which is the latest.

Under sharing options inside QTS firmware, Windows file sharing is enabled (default).

Something in Windows 10 breaks the compatibility with such NASes and I cannot tell if we should wait for QNAP or Microsoft to release a fix. Wondering if there is some workaround for this issue.

18. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    check your router settings again...i think thats were the issue is

19. roch

roch MDL Novice

Sep 15, 2009
    I'm glad this has been brought up, i thought it was just me.
    I've had problems in the past with older builds of Win10 connecting to my SMB shares
    on my Unraid server, usually fixed after a little messing about and a reboot.

But 10147 i really did struggle to get my shares working properly,
    as ZaForD mentions about logging in with an MS account, with build 10147 i did
    straight away from a fresh install.

I now have it working ok with PIN to login & my network shares work fine, i'm logged in
    using a local account. Not quite sure what made the difference maybe the local account ?

20. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    well make sure that your router has the latest firmware install...that mite also be a issue....or wait until vendor releases one for issues with win10.