Cannot Connect to the Internet

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Big Dave, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Big Dave

Big Dave MDL Novice

Apr 16, 2008
    My laptop is acting up on me. Every time I try to go to google chrome, IE8, Safari or Mozilla it says it would not send me to the web. The thing is that Iam connected to a network, my hardware is fine, LAN and Wireless is all fine. I also install malwarebytes anti-malware and it find about 30 infections and it fixed them all. Can some one would have any idea what is going on. Thank u guys before hand. Cheers!~!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS. Weird thing is that I can update through windows update just fine.

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    What do you mean when you run say mozilla did you check what the default web pages was and has this just happened i get that an odd time you are connected but cannot browse it is usually problems at my ISP's side usually sorts itself out some times minutes or hours later.

3. bencasina

bencasina MDL Novice

Jul 12, 2009
    when that happens to me i just reboot and its sorted, or unplug the router and modem and start it again.

4. Big Dave

Big Dave MDL Novice

Apr 16, 2008
    Well I am on the school so I connect to a network, it says Im connected so when I open a browser it tries to display the page but it says page cannot be display.

I delete cookies and history but still nothing, even if I reboot the pc stil nothing. Please Help.

5. Big Dave

Big Dave MDL Novice

Apr 16, 2008
    Well today surprisingly I connect to the internet I uninstall and reinstall Mozilla and it connect me to the internet. Now I mentioned that Windows update was working fine well today the are not, also when I tried to update my software (For example malwarebyte is gives me Error 732) it does not work. I really do not know what is going on. Thanks to "2centsworth" I been looking a way to see if I have a DNS trojan also I tried the little tutorial he left me and it did not work.

6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ highspeedmac,
    he don't say if this is happening at home maybey not supposed to be browsing the net at schooll i,e, not allowed access. Just a thought.

7. highspeedmac

highspeedmac MDL Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Yep, I missed that..:eek: That could most definitely be the reason..:)

I kinda followed the first post,. A lot of times after you clean a large infection like that you can end up with Winsock catalog corruption. Either a half connected network or none at all..

I've also been finding a lot of people install to many toolbars, and that the toolbars popup blockers end up killing all of their browsers ability to open a web page. "They can update their programs but their browsers won't connect." Remove the toolbars, and their connection comes back.

The manual configuration of the network, is a trick to see if your router is mis-configured or not set to assign pc's on the network an IP address.. That problem Can also cause you to have Network access but no internet. Manually set it and if your internet access opens you'll know there maybe something wrong at the routers end..