Cannot copy files to offline W10 system disk

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Aardschok, Aug 3, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Aardschok

Aardschok MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2015
    OK, I did a fresh install of W10 on my girlfriend's laptop (her 8.1 was screwed) and I am now trying to copy her backed up files from my desktop back to her laptop disk.

I have tried copying these files several times but when I plug it back into her laptop, all changes made to the disk are reverted..... Files I spent 30-45 minutes transferring have disappeared :/

Does anyone know if this is some new security measure, preventing offline changes to the file system? If so, I think that's awesome but I need to turn it off for a while.. Any help greatly appreciated!

2. eemuler

eemuler MDL Senior Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Try this:

Make a folder on your Windows 10 drive where you will copy the files. Right click this folder, click Properties, then go to the security tab.
    Click the edit button under groups or user names. If there isn't an entry for Everyone, click the add button and type Everyone and continue.
    Now select the user Everyone in that list, and in the bottom pane for Allow, select the check box for Full control (I check all the boxes in the left column; uncheck any ticks in the Deny column) and Apply.

Now try copying the files there.

3. Aardschok

Aardschok MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2015
    Of course! Good idea, thanks! :worthy:

4. bruce72

bruce72 MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2007
    Reboot the system after the first power up, files will be there, same thing happened to me today, after the reboot everything was where it should be