Cannot delete directory that is not there...

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by MonarchX, Jan 6, 2015.

1. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    #1 MonarchX, Jan 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
    There is a directory/folder on my secondary drive D that I cannot remove no matter what I try because attempting to remove it results in an Windows error message that states that the item I am trying to delete "is no longer located in that directory". It does not, however, say that the directory in use and provides me with 2 choice - Cancel or Try Again. It is a folder/directory for an extracted Mass Effect 3 High Resolution Mod .rar archive. The name of the folder/directory is "3. Master File Zona C - ME3 HighRes Structures, objects and machinery" . The folder/directory became problematic (not usable or remove-able) immediately after I successfully extracted a .rar archive with the same name into that folder/directory. I had to re-extract the same .rar archive into a different directory, which worked wonderfully and I could the move extracted files and remove the directory into which they were extracted.

When I try to delete it or rename it, it tells me that such a folder/directory does not exists. I tried using the latest Unlocker (1.9.2), GiveMePower, CCleaner (with CCEnhancer), and JV16 PowerTools 2014 to either forcibly delete the directory during boot or to clean out all the temp files & folders + clean the registry, but none of tools and methods I used worked. I also ran 'chkdsk D: /F', but no problems were detected and the issue was not resolved. The folder cannot be renamed due to the same error, but it can be moved pretty much anywhere, except for Recycling Bin. Finally, I used Indexing Options in Windows 8.1 Control Panel, and ran Index Rebuild for all drives from the Advanced Options screen/menu, which also did not work. How do I get rid of this kaka?

I need a solution that does NOT involve "Taking Ownership" or adjusting/changing/editing/adding user/administrator/system permissions, which has always resulted in big problems for me down the road. How the hell do I get rid of this booboo, considering that it doesn't even exist???

2. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    try unlocker

3. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    I mentioned I tried "UnLock 1.9.2", but that was actually "UnLocker 1.9.2". I was hoping people would understand it was a typo... Anyway, UnLocker did not help at all. I just ran Windows Search Index Rebuilding to see if that helped, but it did not... This is just absurd!

4. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    sorry, didn't see that it is what I recommended ... too old eyes with too many magnets and torrents flooded

5. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Elevated CMD:

RD /S /Q path-to-and-folder-name

6. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    #7 MonarchX, Jan 6, 2015
    (OP)
    I disabled UAC completely, rebooted, launched CMD prompt as administrator, typed all the stuff in, which resulted in the command line that looked like this, before I pressed Enter:
    C:\Users\Enthusiast>RD /S /Q D:\Game Files\Mass Effect 3\Mods\Delete This Crap\Delete This Crap\3. Master File Zona C - ME3 HighRes Structures, objects and machinery.

After I pressed Enter I got a few of these:
    System cannot find the file specified
    and a few of those too:
    System cannot find the path specified

Also, I was wrong about something - the folder/directory CANNOT be moved anywhere at all, but the directories that contain that folder can be renamed (can't be copied either). The folder/directory itself cannot be renamed.

To simplify directory path, I renamed all folders containing the crap folder to 1, so I typed this up
    "C:\Users\Enthusiast>RD /S /Q D:\1\1\1\1\1\3. Master File Zona C - ME3 HighRes Structures, objects and machinery." without the " "
    And I got this:
    System cannot find the file specified

Why does it think its a file? The name of the directory has a period at the very end... - is that why?

7. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Looks like the dir URL is too long for Windows - try renaming as many folders as you can right down from the deepest folder and file, to the root folder, to single character names - then try again

So from:

D:\Game Files\Mass Effect 3\Mods\Delete This Crap\Delete This Crap\3. Master File Zona C - ME3 HighRes Structures, objects and machinery

to

D:\Game Files\5\4\3\2\1

8. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    If no Windows approach has worked, you may as well try booting from Linux live. Never heard of a Windows file/folder that Linux couldn't delete. (Make sure you select the "Try Linux" option, not "Install Linux")

9. pt1158

pt1158 MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2010
    Have you tried running "chkdsk d: /f" from a command prompt which should fix any NTFS errors that may be causing these symptoms?

10. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Already done that - see previous post... - no go!

11. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Yes, I stated that in the OP...

12. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    #13 MonarchX, Jan 6, 2015
    (OP)
    $10 in 2 weeks from today to anyone who can solve this!

13. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    Perhaps a little Linux ? Some force from the outside ...

14. GezoeSloog

GezoeSloog knows a guy, who knows another guy.

Feb 10, 2012
    Sometimes only format can help :empathy3:

15. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    your advise does it definitely but is not worth 10 bucks a day for a period of two weeks :biggrin3:

16. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    #17 Carlos Detweiller, Jan 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Try

Code:
    rd /s /q "\\?\D:\1\1\1\1\1\3. Master File Zona C - ME3 HighRes Structures, objects and machinery."

17. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    That's not going to happen. I have a super-slow upload speed and my OS and game SSD's combined are nowhere as big as the storage drive that got the error. I have no way to backup data...

18. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    #19 MonarchX, Jan 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    Holy Sh*t! You did it! $10 is yours, but in 2 weeks or so :worthy::worthy::worthy: Please be kind to explain the magic command you suggested? Is it of THIS realm??? Why did it work and why didn't others work? How on Earth could a simple WinRAR archive extraction result in such devious mess?

This should be added in the MS library of rare issues and fixes with a creative case name, like... like... The Dakuto Ambition, making it enigmatic and memorable! :eek: :D

19. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    It worked because it's in quotes. I'm trying not to be mean here, but you know that windows doesn't pass directories with spaces without quoting them, right?