Cannot disable balloon tips in XP Pro

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Matrix Leader, May 30, 2010.

1. Matrix Leader

Matrix Leader MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2009
    Anyone know of a trick to disable Balloon tips in XP Pro SP3?

I tried Tweak UI doesn't work.

tried a guide online for gpedit.msc but the administrative templates are not the same like the guide says... i am the administrator

pls help

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  3. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
    #3 Matrix Leader, May 30, 2010
    Last edited: May 30, 2010
    (OP)
    both tricks didn't work....

When I did the manual registry hack of MS and logged off (EnableBallon Tips = 0) it worked....when I restart...the value change to 1 automatically...

what do u think is causing this? :(

someone please help

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Computer Fixer

Computer Fixer MDL Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Group Policy settings can override registry values, I'd take a close look at the GP and see if there's something hidden in there.... (gpedit.msc)

5. iNO12

iNO12 MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
    You can disable some of them by going to Control Panel>Security Center. On the side it says "Change the way security center alerts me". In there you can turn off the balloon tips related to antivirus, updates and firewall.

6. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
    that has nothing to do with balloon tips!!!

7. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
    anyone has any idea how to resolve this?

8. hollandia

hollandia MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2009
    i use XpAntispy

9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    How about giving us some more info is this install from full Xp or maybe Nlited because if some stuf has been removed you will never do it.

10. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
    OHH waait a second!! you may have hit the hammer on the head! I just remembered that my original Windows XP disc was SP2 so I slipstreamed SP3 + SATA drivers using nLite.

I will try formatting and use my original disc again!! thanks alot for making me realize this.

11. MADDOG33

MADDOG33 MDL Junior Member

Nov 25, 2008
    #11 MADDOG33, Jun 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
    Anti virus program willl give balloon notification if the a/v program is set as default. How to get rid:
    Open a/v program and disable realtime protection. Secuity warning will appear. Click on red shield in system tray. Select recommendations. Select I have an a/v program. Re-enable a/v.

12. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
    This is not the balloon tips I am talking about man. This is just for the security notifications.

13. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
    I tried installing from my clean version, this time I was able to see all the options in gpedit.msc and disable baloon tips from there, but open restart, ballloon tips are renabled, same thing with Tweak UI

This is very weird

14. weekendworriornc

weekendworriornc MDL Novice

Jan 20, 2011
    fixed for good

I had been fighting this one for a long time, but finally Microsoft has come to the rescue. Go the this address and hit "Microsoft fix it #50048" hit run, download and install. this is the only way to get rid of them i know of.

support.microsoft.com/kb/307729 note add: h t t p : / / to the beginning

15. omax

omax MDL Novice

Jan 21, 2011
    The registry fix is the best metohod.