Cannot do clean install of Windows 7!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Rossuk, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Rossuk

Rossuk MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2011
    Basically yesterday and today I've had problems with my computer. It was something to do with the graphics card driver/aero/directx. I've tried multiple things to fix it but nothing worked. So my last resort is to do a clean install of windows 7.

I click custom (advanced) then it goes to the screen with the hard drive. I've got 1 partition called "Disk 0 Unallocated Space - Total Size 1862.9MB - Free Space 1862.9MB". Then nothing in the "type" column.

However when I highlight this drive there is no option to click next. All I have is refresh, load driver and drive options (advanced) and new. I click the "windows cannot be installed on this disk" and it says "Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks".

How on earth can I install Windows 7? This is so stressful!!!!!! On friday everything was working perfectly and now everything gone completely wrong lol

2. Rossuk

Rossuk MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2011
    Nah doesn't work, well it doesn't go into EFI boot manager, tried it a few times but no success. But thanks anyway mate, do you have any other idea's?

I'm now sitting here with a completely useless machine, the computer is only less than 12 months old too.

There must be a way to simply install Windows 7 on it right? It can't just refuse to install an operating system?

Ugh someone please help!!!!

3. stevengw

stevengw MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2011
    goto windowsreinstall.com

4. portlandbear

portlandbear MDL Novice

May 21, 2011
    I don't think you are installing it to the correct partition. There must be a partition where Windows 7 was/is installed, & it must be larger than 1862.9MB. The partition you are trying to install to isn't big enough. The Windows 7 DVD is bigger than that.

5. IronMaiden

IronMaiden MDL Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Open a command prompt from the Windows setup disc...then type the following:

diskpart
    list disk (your drive will probably be listed as #1, but do this step to identify it and be sure)
    select disk 1 (assuming #1 is your drive)
    clean
    create partition primary
    format fs=ntfs quick
    active
    exit (to close Diskpart)
    exit (to leave the command prompt)

Now you should be able to install Windows without any problem (but reboot and boot the DVD again to be on the safe side). Does that work?

BTW, this deletes ALL existing partitions on the HD, if you have other partitions besides Windows, back them up first!!

6. Rossuk

Rossuk MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2011
    When I click the repair text on the windows install it says the windows disk I have isn't compatiable? :wassat:

7. Rossuk

Rossuk MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2011
    Thanks for the help mate. I burned GParted to a CD and it booted up, created the partitions and windows is now finally installing :), hopefully this goes smoothly! cheers though :D