Cannot enter safe mode, no advanced startup options

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by YenLegion, May 26, 2022.

1. YenLegion

YenLegion MDL Novice

May 17, 2018
    Hi, I am unable to enter safe mode. The only option in the advanced startup menu is to reboot to UEFI firmware. I do not have a recovery partition. I have tried creating one and copying the winre.wim and associated files there but have had no luck.

reagentc /enable gives "REAGENTC.EXE: Unable to update Boot Configuration Data."

I've followed various guide on recreating the partition but have thus far been unsuccessful.

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    I can't find your question.
    You tell us what you can't do and what you don't have, but I can't any way find what help you're looking for or waiting for?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    His recovery partition is gone or not working he want's help with that.

Btw the easiest way to restore your recovery partition is to do a in place upgrade tbh

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Do an inplace upgrade with a iso it will bring back the recovery partition

5. brz.2k2

brz.2k2 MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2015
    You can create 'C:\Recovery\WindowsRE' by hand. Copy 'boot.sdi' and 'Winre.wim' from the ISO. Get 'ReAgent.xml' from 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Recovery' as it seems to be a blank template. Drop them inside 'WindowsRE' and run: 'reagentc /setreimage /path C:\Recovery\WindowsRE' followed by 'reagentc /enable'. Verify your new WinRE environment with 'reagentc /info'.
    A bit dirty but worked for me. Good luck.

6. YenLegion

YenLegion MDL Novice

May 17, 2018
    That's what I ended up doing. Works! Thank you.

7. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    No need to waste time and space with winre partition, just to do a basic thing like entering in safe mode.

Just get rid of the useless metro bootloader, switching it to legacy mode (win7 style). Then just push F8 at boot

It's the first thing that a sane user should do right after the installation of win8-win11.