Cannot get W10 installed

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by davecabezo, Oct 20, 2015.

1. davecabezo

davecabezo MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2011
    Hi
    Trying to install W10 on a partition on a spare HDD drive but keep getting the message "couldn't creat a new partition or locate an existing one" I've tried, changing a partition to free space, changing it to primary partition, logical drive etc but still getting the same message. I've removed all usb sticks, apart from my keyboard, nothing works.

Any further suggestions please

Dave

2. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    try to boot the installation disc from legacy bios not efi

3. davecabezo

davecabezo MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2011
    Many thanks for your reply but I'm a novice when it comes to bios etc. could you tell me how to carry that out please

4. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    when powering on the pc
    go to boot menu
    its should be with pressing F12 key
    or F8

u will see in the menu the disc with and without UEFI prefix
    choose the without prefix and see how its going

5. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015

Is your cat playing a stratocaster ?. LMAO

If that's a spare drive then do you really need it partitioned beyond the main one, if not then just pay attention the the drive listed when installing windows, your OS should be disk 0 and the other spare should be disk one if you only have the two.

Just delete and partitions you see for disk 1, then you'll see the unallocated partition- disk 1. Highlight the drive and go to NEW and set size, now you'll see the two partitions and install to the larger one not the MBR or UEFI if you booted from a fat32 flash drive and picked UEFI drive.

This is if it wasn't as Lite8 said and was just the drive not unallocated.

6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Sorry,

You can do all this but you're a novice in bios?

7. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    "...should be with pressing F12 key or F8" - No, my darling - It can be any of the button, but in no event F8. Older computers can, however be also Esc or Del.Newer computers - usually F12, but not always. It can also be F1,F3, F4, F5, ...- it is available in computer manual, or somewhere else, for example on the screen. It is always visible or available somewhere.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Simple07

Simple07 MDL Addicted

Nov 15, 2012
    @davecabezo,
    You have not mentioned anything about your hardware or software, can you help those who are trying to help by:
    1- What hardware do you have?
    2- Do you have more than one hard disk on the computer?
    3- How many partition and what type exist on your configuration.
    4- What is your existing OS.
    5- Are you trying to install from a Bootable DVD /USB or from a mounted image on your existing Operating System?

But to get you started some where (assuming you are trying to install from a bootable device):
    1- The hard disk existing partition type (MBR / GPT)
    2- MBR partition type can only address 4 primary partitions.

Since you are attempting to install on an available partition, which you can delete and format, then obviously you are seeing it through some OS. If such, your BIOS is already seeing it. Unless of course you are performing the partitioning on another computer, please clarify.

If you have used a tool like RUFUS to burn the Windows 10 ISO on a USB, you have 3 partition scheme choices:
    1- MBR for BIOS or UEFI-CSM
    2- MBR for UEFI
    3- GPT for UEFI

Now, you can re-burn the image on the USB using a different option or you can change the partition type on the hard disk using Diskpart..

Without full information, we are all guessing your problem and what is the remedy.

9. Trickz

Trickz MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2015
    Wow don't tell me that this old bug persist with windows 10 installation !
    If none of the above works your solution would be to burn the iso on a bootable dvd and install it the oldschool way.

10. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Which is the same as using NTFS on a flash drive with the install using BIOS. There is no difference between IDE, Sata interfaced ROM and USB besides transfer valves and the method format.

11. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Wrong, some real motherboards give boot options from F8. Most Dells are F12. Most real mobo's use DEL to enter UEFI. Seems the majority of F8 was safe mode.

12. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #12 Enthousiast, Oct 21, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
    For me it's:

Asrock: F11
    Gigabyte: F12
    Asus: F8
    MSI: F11

To go to bootsequence menu while booting.

Most systems use DEL/F2 to enter setup.

Since the release of win 8.0 F8 to enter safe mode is shut off, to enable it:

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy >nul

13. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    The old advanced boot, lol Always liked msconfig for safe and for 8-10 advanced, shutdown /r/o. Never needed to get into safe as boot.

14. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    I use murphy78's diskpart and apply 1.2.8 script to make a recovery partition while installing windows and if advanced boot is enabled you later can simply reset your windows install if windows is crasheds beyond repair ;)