Cannot install/preview any fonts at all

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by lancast, Jul 31, 2015.

1. lancast

lancast MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2015
    #1 lancast, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
    Hi, there seems to be some sort of issue. I tried Google for this and found absolutely no solution.
    Basically, I cannot seem to install any new fonts at all. Any font I try to install or preview, I will get a message saying "Not a valid font". Now here's the strange part, if I click to view a font from the windows/fonts/ folder, it lets me view it of course but if I copy that font outside that location, like to my desktop, I will again get the same error, "Not a valid font". I tried logging on the built-in Administrator account as well to see if maybe I could do it from there, but no, same error.
    Anyone knows how to fix this?

2. lancast

lancast MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2015
    Okay, I seem to have fixed it myself, however I would like someone please who knows more about this to explain to me why exactly this was causing the issue.

Basically, I went into the Event Viewer and saw two errors, one that had "font" name in it. It said something about Firewall. Screenshot below:

i.imgur.com/YeCfqU0.png

Now, I have Windows Firewall disabled completely because I'm using another Firewall. I went into services.msc, I enabled Windows Firewall, and boom, everything works, I can install/preview any fonts again. Now, I have disabled the windows firewall, but yet I can still install fonts and preview them.

This is not the first time this has surprised me. Yesterday somehow randomly my search bar(next to windows button) stopped working, I went into Event Viewer, it said something about Firewall, so I enabled it in services, and search bar worked again.

Can somehow explain to me please why exactly is Windows Firewall affecting so many things? I never had that issue in Windows 7.

3. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    are you using any firewall controller or firewall tweaker? If not Id backup my personal belongings and type "reset this pc" and let Windows clean itself up, sounds like its a dirty little buggah

4. lancast

lancast MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2015
    I actually did a clean install yesterday when I had this issue, thinking maybe something went wrong in installation but no, same thing, so this is how windows 10 is supposed to work. If you look at the screenshot linked, it says "fontdrvhost" was unable to register with firewall (aka windows firewall) because it is turned off. Since that process cannot register with windows firewall, any user on the PC is unable to perform any action that uses fontdrvhost - such as installing or previewing fonts. Once I enable windows firewall in services, fontdrvhost registers and I can install/preview fonts. Thing that I don't understand is why exactly is windows 10 working this way, and what is a possible workaround for this? It seems that once it registers with the windows firewall, it can work, even when the windows firewall is turned off but only until you restart pc(I'm guessing the registration info is stored somewhere else) - if pc is restarted while windows firewall is disabled, it will have to be enabled for fontdrvhost to register again. At least logically all of this would make sense to me. Still, I don't want to have windows firewall enabled at all times because I'm using a different firewall anyway. Would you happen to know a workaround for this?

Thanks.

5. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    I am not having this issue, I cannot reproduce this, sorry.

This must be one of the strangest issues Ive ever heard lol

6. lancast

lancast MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2015
    Oh so you have windows firewall disabled(in services.msc) and you can install/preview fonts? If so that is strange, because I was able to reproduce this issue twice now on a clean install, hmmmm. If we could figure out why it is not affecting you, that would be a solution. Also I am not the only person who has had this issue, I found someone else on reddit who also had it, I suggested him/her to turn on windows firewall and that fixed it as well. Are you using the first account created upon installing windows? If so, could you make a new local admin account and see if you can install or preview new fonts(that are outside windows/fonts folder)? Sorry for all these requests :S

7. lancast

lancast MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2015
    I'm trying to research a bit into this but not much can be found.
    recxltd.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/windows-8-app-container-security-notes.html
    ""Windows 8 introduces a new security sandbox, called AppContainer, that offers more fine-grained security permissions and which blocks Write and Read Access to most of the system. "

Okay since this is what AppContainer does I can understand why it is denying me read/write access since
    AppContainer microsoft.windows.fontdrvhost is unable to register with windows firewall. Thing is, I'm sure there must be a solution to this rather than just having windows firewall enabled, since a lot of people disable it completely like me since they use 3rd party firewalls.