Cannot install Windows 10 PRO on machine with Win8 Home SLIC

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by thedoginthewok, Dec 1, 2015.

1. thedoginthewok

thedoginthewok MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2009
    Hello,

I have a Win7 Pro License that I want to use with Win10 Pro 1511, but I can't install the Pro version of Windows 10 on the machine. It automatically installs the Home version of Win10 and doesn't ask for a key during the setup. After the installation I can't use my key, because it installs the Home version.

How can I install the Pro version of Win10 on this laptop? How can I make the setup ignore the Win8 SLIC license?

2. guanellaluigi

guanellaluigi MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2008
    Use the "change product key" on win 10 home, specifying your Pro key.
    if it doesn't work, take an intermediate step with the 10 pro generic key, it will give you an unactivated Win 10 pro, which can then be activated with your 7 pro key.

3. Aemsa

Aemsa MDL Member

Feb 17, 2014
    Use the ei.cfg trick

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    guanellaluigi gave an interesting answer, i believe xinso could tell you more about how to do it.

ps, win 8.x doesn't use slic but oem:Dm table, 10586 can readout (8.x/10) oem:Dm keys but not (win 7) slic keys.

5. thedoginthewok

thedoginthewok MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2009
    "Change product key" didn't accept the Win7 key, but I didn't try with a generic Win10 pro key.

I didn't know that, I just knew that the activation information was on the machine itself.

But good news:
    I managed to install the pro version by creating a pid.txt file in the sources folder and putting the product key of my win7 license in there.

Thanks for your replies.