Cannot mix x86 and x64 in the same wim file with slipstreamed SP1?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Gremo, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Gremo

Gremo MDL Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Hi all, this is my first post :). I've translated a guide found on this forum about slipstreaming Windows 7 SP1. The guide is pOcHa post #36 on "DVD with SP1 integrated into Windows 7 ?" thread. I can't post the like because I'm a new user. Of course my language is not english, so I can't still download the official ISOs from microsoft :yummy:

The problem is I cannot mix x86 editions (with slipstreamed SP1) and a x64 slipstreamed one. I'm getting a "missing driver" error just after pressing the "install button". For Example:

Starter x86 SP1 + Home Premium x86 SP1 = working
    Starter x86 SP1 + Home Premium x86 SP1 + Home Premium x64 = working
    Home Premium x64 SP1 = working
    Starter x86 sp1 + Home Premium x86 SP1 + Home Premium x64 SP1 = NOT working (missing drivers)

This is quite odd, isn't it? Any ideas on what could be wrong? :confused:

2. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    So basically you want an AIO..

Starter x86
    Home premium x86
    home premium x64..

That should work if its done correctly..

Did you use imagex /export command to combine them?

3. Gremo

Gremo MDL Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Sure I used imagex to export each edition. The strange thing is that x86 starter and home premium (with sp1) works togheter in the same wim, and even hompremium x64 sp1 works alone. The problem arise when they are combined in a single wim file. That is I would exclude any problem related to SP1 being not correctly slipstreamed.

4. rasputinuk

rasputinuk MDL Member

May 21, 2007
    I have had no problem in doing an AIO with SP1, including inserting my drivers...into the .wim you must put any SATA/Raid drivers in the X86 boot.wim index 2 any other drivers must be inserted in all the editions within the install.wim I use DISMTOOL for this then export the X64 install.wim into the X86 install.wim for this I used the gimagex export function with maximum compression and finally use the oscdimg to generate the ISO. My final image image size came in at 4,121,930 KB.. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Gremo

Gremo MDL Member

Feb 19, 2011
    This sounds strange, but I used gimagex as you suggested and it's working like a charm now :D Thanks a lot dude...

6. bjf2000

bjf2000 MDL Expert

Apr 11, 2008
    #6 bjf2000, Feb 22, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
    I didn't realize that imagex had compression. Its help says "Specifies the type of compression used when exporting to a new WIM file." But we're exporting to an existing WIM file, not a new one. Does it compress in that case?

Update: I just tested Imagex with and without compression to a new file, and the results were identical.

7. rasputinuk

rasputinuk MDL Member

May 21, 2007
    I think although not sure, the original install.wim was made with maximum compreesion. I found if I exported the X64 install.wim into the X86 one with fast or normal compression I would end up with errors of one sort or another. To free up space in the image I deleted the Starter edition as I never use that version on my computers. This gave enough extra space to put my extra drivers/fav apps to be automatically installed via Setupcomplete.cmd and Install.bat, but that is another story...;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...