Cannot Restore "Libraries" In Registry...

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by blujein, Jul 6, 2010.

1. blujein

blujein MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2010
    I'm hoping someone can help me with a problem.

Recently, I wanted to remove the "Libraries" group from Windows Explorer in Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, so I followed the instructions provided here on My Digital Life (I can't post the link as I don't have enough posts, but the instructions were to browse to "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{031E4825-7B94-4dc3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}\ShellFolder" directory in the registry and change the "ShellFolder" DWORD entry to "b090010d"), which worked a treat.

Now, however, I want to restore the "Libraries" group, so I attempted to follow the other instructions also made available via that link, but with no luck. When I navigate to that registry entry, the "ShellFolder" folder is missing.

Can anyone help me here?

2. OriginalGrim

OriginalGrim MDL Novice

Jun 23, 2009
    #2 OriginalGrim, Jul 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  3. blujein

blujein MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2010
    Thanks for the advice, but is that a safe thing to do?

4. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Yes it is safe dude. All it is, is a reg key that you import that basically restores the shell settings for the library.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. blujein

blujein MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2010
    Great - thank you!

When I try to run the file, though, it comes up with an error that reads: "Cannot import C:\Users\TWinter\Documents\RestoreLibrariesGroup.reg: Error accessing the registry."

Any ideas?

6. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    #6 sam3971, Jul 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
    Have you implemented any so called "Volnerability protection." if so you can go to start, type in regedit in the search to open the registry and import it manually. IDK why you would not have access to the registry unless you are using a limited account dude. I would try that though.

Update: Did you open that file as "Administrator?" That is probably why you are having the issue. You need to open reg keys half the time with admin rights or it will not add due to UAC restrictions.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. blujein

blujein MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2010
    I tried to add the file manually, as you suggested, but received the same error.

Also, when I right-click on the file, there is no option to run the file as an administrator. I also have my UAC restrictions set to the minimum.

8. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
  9. blujein

blujein MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2010
    I've just finished trying each of those things, and all with no luck.

I think the issue has to do with the "ShellFolder" folder not being present. Could that be it?

10. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    I am really not sure. I suppose it is possible but IDK what exactly that tweak you did does. Most likely it is either a virus or some UAC tampering that made the registry not accessable at that point. If you want the Library back then I would suggest you do a reinstall or restore a backup(If you you have any) and then the problem will be resolved. Sorry there are not really more options that I can think of at this point.

11. blujein

blujein MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2010
    Hmm...bugger!

Thank you so much for all of your help, though - I really appreciate it.

12. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    No problem dude. I only wish i could help you further. If you want you can try googling it but I don't think that will help you that much because you really tweaked it lol. My advise for the future. "Don't tweak it unless you know exactly what the tweak does and you know for sure it is reversable so you can restore the defaults if you need to." That is my modo anyway.