Cannot Turn On my computer after shutdown

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by izh34, Aug 18, 2009.

1. izh34

izh34 MDL Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Need help here ASAP. I just turn off my computer after 4 days of on to make it rest for a while. Just after 3 hours I decided to turn on it back, but there is no response when I switch on its power button. Any idea here? I have change its power supply and it's not the power supply problem. Could it be my windows 7 effect it cuz I just flash my bios with SLIP 2.1.:(

2. weinter

weinter MDL Senior Member

Feb 19, 2009
    If you rebooted once successfully after flashing that means the SLIC is successful if not your computer broke after a bad flash check for BIOS Recovery Guides here.

3. f1int7

f1int7 MDL Novice

Jul 10, 2009
    Power button?

Have you checked the power button itself?

4. izh34

izh34 MDL Member

Mar 12, 2009
    How to check it? DO you mean my power supply? It still in good condition. It just my power button won't on after I push it. Related to bios f?lashing or what

5. nightstorm

nightstorm MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2009
    I've never heard of a power button that's stopped working after a BIOS flash though.

6. NiHiLisT

NiHiLisT MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Unplug all devices from Motherboard except the PSU.
    Take out the battery and leave it a couple of minutes separated from the Motherboard, then put it back in and check if the System will boot.
    Alternatively use your clear CMOS jumper. Unplug the power cord when you do these steps.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. NiHiLisT

NiHiLisT MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    No he changed the PSU to check if it's broken.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Lenmaer

Lenmaer MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2009
    #9 Lenmaer, Aug 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  9. NiHiLisT

NiHiLisT MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    guessing he broke his BIOS.

10. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    Wonder if he flashed from windows :eek:

11. nightstorm

nightstorm MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2009
    Seriously, has anyone before heard about a bad BIOS flash that disables the power button itself? I have never heard about that. I've heard about people not getting anywhere after they have enabled power, not getting to Post and such.

12. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    no even if it was a bad flash the board would still power up. The fans would just run. As long as the +12 on the mobo is good then it will turn on.

Have you tried turning the computer on with a screw driver? Unplug the powersw lead from the motherboard and just jump those pins with a flat head screw driver.

If you replaced your power supply and it still doesn't turn on then it is the power lead onto the board or the pins that control the power to the board.

13. f1int7

f1int7 MDL Novice

Jul 10, 2009
    #14 f1int7, Aug 18, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
    The OP said that his computer had been running fine for 4 days until he shut down which I'm assuming that he had flashed his bios prior to running his PC for the 4 days. I honestly don't believe this is related to a bad flash as HSChronic says since his computer would power on, but most likely not post. Anyways to clarify on HSChronic's post:

To test the power switch, find the two pins on the mobo where the switch is plugged in and momentarily short them together with the blade of a small slot screwdriver. (Basically just use the screwdriver as a bridge to "connect" the two pins)

14. hdfreedom

hdfreedom MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2009
    I'm with HSChronic and f1int7.

It doesn't matter whether it was a good flash or bad flash. The PS and fans would still power on, even if the MB doesn't. If you're saying that the PS won't turn on, I'd be looking at the wall outlet, the cord to the PS, the PS and the computer power switch. You said that you changed PS's, but are you sure that the new one is working? This can be checked out of the computer by jumping the green wire and black next to it on the ATX power connector and turning it on.

Now, if after checking those out and assuring that they're all good, and it won't post, then I would be concerned about a bad flash.

15. izh34

izh34 MDL Member

Mar 12, 2009
    #16 izh34, Aug 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    (OP)
  16. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    And so what ? I flashed my bios 4 times via windows and never had 1 single problem with it :rolleyes:.

17. jackdor

jackdor MDL Member

Jun 20, 2009
    i second that.what all this tish with flashing your bios in windows. it seems to me that if you get any problem than it must be he/she flashed their bios in windows. what load of codswallop :mad:

18. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    Didn't you say that you replaced the power supply earlier in the post?

19. hdfreedom

hdfreedom MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2009
    Yep, I caught that also...

I've flashed my Bios for years in windows and never had a bad one. Not sure why so many are dead set against it. Seems like another of those old tales that everyone believes but no one has a qualified reason for it.