Cannot update clock / time

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by shankarhokie, May 16, 2010.

1. shankarhokie

shankarhokie MDL Junior Member

Feb 18, 2010
    I am running W7 ultimate with a SLIC 2.1 modded HP. I am up to date on security updates . . I am still showing genuine.. However, I have noticed that I am unable to perform some tasks that I used to be able to... For example, I am unable to update the clock in the task bar. I click update time and nothing happens. Also, when I right click on a file and click on open with ==> choose default program, I get a shell32.dll access denied error.

I am running as administrator...

PLease help me fix this error... Thanks!

2. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Do a malware scan with something like malware bytes and then run SFC /SCANNOW from an elevated prompt. Sounds like some type of malware or file corruption to me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. shankarhokie

Feb 18, 2010
    Thanks.. I did both.. no malicious items were found and scannow did not report any errors...

I have UAC off for all accounts... Is that an issue?

4. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    It could also be caused by registry corruption (or incorrect modification). If you have run any tools, any at all, they could be to blame. Most don't work work, and most tweak programmes suck. There are some useful programmes but they are unlikely to fix any stuffup made by another programme. If you have used such programmes, which ones did you use?

5. shankarhokie

Feb 18, 2010
    That was my thought as well but was not sure ..

I use 2 of them.. Ashampoo win optimizer & WinUtilities... I used Winutilities on all my other computers, no issues. Ashampoo tool is the new addition...

6. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    I'm not sure of either of those, of course they have to be Windows 7 compatible, and x64 (if applicable) compatible

7. R0H1T

R0H1T MDL Junior Member

Apr 6, 2010
    #7 R0H1T, May 16, 2010
    Last edited: May 17, 2010
    Do a system file scan(sfc) also check who's the owner of the file(it should be trusted installer) & whether its uncompressed or not. If your shell32.dll is corrupt/infected you can try a manual restore on system bootup.
    Those utilities are fine(win7 compatible) but you shouldn't tinker with their registry cleaners(or any other for that matter) unless you can undo the damage.

8. shankarhokie

Feb 18, 2010
    Hi Rohit. Thanks... Now I see that "automated" solutions can be trouble ...Can I do a retore of just shell32.dll?

9. R0H1T

R0H1T MDL Junior Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Yes you can simply restore shell32.dll file with your win7 installation media or a system repair disc. But save that option & try all the other methods I've mentioned before that like run sfc also do a thorough virus check of your system files, not just malwarebytes but also using a good AV like AVAST/ESET/NORTON/KASPERSKY, lastly look for registry errors(I recommend VITSOFT PRO, you can use it for free with a trial nag screen) to fix them.

10. racky29

racky29 MDL Senior Member

Aug 2, 2007
    so called registy cleaners/fixers can do more harm than good,
    if i use on of those tools i always look through the list and only pick ones that look safe or look as though it gonna fix a problem rather than cause a problem

11. R0H1T

R0H1T MDL Junior Member

Apr 6, 2010
    YES & NO I'd say, there are alot of system/registry tools out there that'll do more harm than good but if you're a novice then sites like softpedia will help you find the best stuff. Look for something like softpedia/editor's pick & you won't be disappointed ;)

12. shankarhokie

Feb 18, 2010
  13. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    That sounds like a monumental stuffup on Comodo's end. I would have thought they'd have fixed it by now, sure you're using the latest version?

14. shankarhokie

Feb 18, 2010
    Yes I am using the latest version... I must have messed around with the defense plus settings for protected files & protected registry keys... I would think that by default, an administrator of the computer should be able to have access to those files, despite what the settings are ... unless I told it to exclude everyone... which I didn't

15. R0H1T

R0H1T MDL Junior Member

Apr 6, 2010
    No wonder something was missing since you didn't mention COMODO but I've read on some forums that the default settings on it are a bit screwed up so most probably there was no blemish on your part. If you're using COMODO as a standalone firewall(with another AV) then you should switch to outpost/zonealarm they are much better & also feature rich(even free versions) OR if you've got COMODO internet security then ditch it for AVAST/AVIRA(free versions available) & one of the firewalls I mentioned above. But of course its all up to you !

16. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    Avast Antivirus has a really good detection rate and is fast, and Avira is excellent too! Comodo not so much...

17. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    #18 Phazor, May 18, 2010
    Last edited: May 18, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...