Cannot use new hard drive

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Big Dave, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Big Dave

Big Dave MDL Novice

Apr 16, 2008
    Im fixing my friend laptop, and I came up with the problem, which was the hard drive, so what we did was we bought a new one. The old hard drive was Fujitsu 120 GB SATA and the new HDD is a Seagate 320 GB SATA.

My problem is that after I choose the hard drive to install Windows Vista it gives me this error
    "Failed to create a new partition on the selected space: Error 0x80010105"

Laptop Specs

1.8 GHz AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TL-56
    1 GB of DDR2 system memory,
    120 GB hard disk drive (5400 rpm)
    SuperMulti DVD-R/RW drive with double-layer support
    802.11b/g Wireless LAN network connection
    5-in-1 digital media reader
    Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition

I would really appreciate if you guys give me a hand with this, Cheersssssssss!!!!!

PS. This hard drive is brand new I ordered from Tigerdirect.

2. fred64

fred64 MDL Junior Member

May 2, 2007
    Some motherboards were designed to work with SATA 1@ 1.5Gb/s and if you put a SATA 2 drive on it it cannot be used, in extreme cases it may not even be recognized.
    Check to see if the motherboard is SATA 2 compatible, if it is not you will have to alter the jumpers on the back to SATA 1 the instructions will be on the HDD.
    Hope this helps

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Big Dave

Big Dave MDL Novice

Apr 16, 2008
    Before I answer this can you please tell me what is 1.5Gb/s or 3.0Gb/s what do they mean?

Now that u mention thes the hard drive I bought is a SATA 3.0Gb/s and I think the old hard drive is a SATA 1.5Gb/s so I think that is the problem, I appreciate your help. Im gonna get one 1.5Gb/s and hopefully it works. Thanks

4. FireFox747

FireFox747 MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2009
    The 1.5Gb/s just refers to the data throughput for SATA I compared to 3 for SATA II. Even though the SATA II drives are supposed to be backward compatible with I, you do occasionally see this problem on SATA I motherboards. See if you can try a 160GB (or smaller) drive as often these tend to be ok when the larger ones don't work in these cases.