Cannot view cnet videos.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jetjock, Jul 22, 2014.

1. jetjock

jetjock MDL Senior Member

Mar 6, 2010
    I have a really strange problem with cnet.com/videos page. I apologize for the length of this, but it's a complicated problem.

The problem is in one particular instance of Windows 7 Ultimate. I cannot run any video from cnet.com/videos. The little throbber circle just keeps going around. Nor can I access "Log In/ Join" or "US Edition" icons on that page. My cursor does not turn into a finger on either of those icons. All the other icons on that page work as they should. This happens the same with all four browsers: FireFox 28 & 25, IE 11 and Google Chrome 36. IE & Chrome are "out of the box" installs with no mods by me, as I do not use them except to check for instances like I'm having now. I even loaded a fresh install of FF with a clean profile, but the problem persisted. I am not having any problems with any other Website.

I have totally uninstalled Java and Flash, using Revo Uninstaller which cleans the registry of any leftovers, but that makes no difference. I have tried using a laptop computer and cnet video site works perfectly on it. I also booted into a different installation of Windows 7 on a different hard drive on this computer, and cnet video site works fine there also. The problem is only on this instance of Windows.

This problem has to be something in Windows itself as far as I can see. I have run a deep scan with Avast and Malwarebytes.Both programs found nothing. I also ran tdsskiller for rootkit infections; also clean. Does anyone have any ideas as to what would cause this particular problem with cnet? Thanks!

jetjock:plane:

2. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Do other computers have the same problem when using your network or internet connection? Can you view the videos using your computer on someone else's network or internet connection? If you have a router, that web address might be limited somehow in the firewall. What you have to do is start eliminating possibilities one by one. Apparently your problem lies not with your computer but elsewhere. The description you give of the problem seems to me to be a simple failure to fully load a website/video.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
    On four different browsers?!

jetjock :plane:

4. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Right, got that. But if the problem is not the with the browser, and everything else you're tried fails, your problem is not going to be solved by keeping doing what hasn't worked. You have to consider other possible solutions you haven't tried. But hey, it's your computer and as the little icon indicates you're free to beat your head against the wall all you want. :wallbash:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
    #5 jetjock, Jul 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
    (OP)
    Problem solved. Two things were messing the videos up. All three browsers would not work as I had tried "Hosts.mvp" which blocks ad-tracking. In addition, Avast Free Anti Virus, "Do Not Track" "Block ad tracking by default", was blocking the videos in FF & IE. Switching back to my old Hosts file, and then disabling the block ad tracking enabled videos to run in FF & Chrome. Videos still will not work in IE unless Avast is totally disabled. I have no idea why. Ad Block Plus does not seem to prevent them from running in FF, so all is good.

jetjock: :plane: