Canonical telemetry

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Joe C, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    And why is that??

4. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    the mere fact that they are prepared to jump on m$` telemetry bandwagon is enough for me;there will be a little `mistake` that prevents the opt-out option from working, without users noticing, more likely than not.

5. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Everything that MS collects is pretty standard stuff.

6. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
    Pretty standard? Defined by yourself? LMAO.

Here is my definition: based on its behavior alone, Microsoft = Giant trojan keylogger

7. TinMan

TinMan MDL Member

Jul 31, 2009
    MS = Microsoft = Macrospyware :D

8. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    Canonical telemetry does not compare with that of Microsoft. The information Canonical wish to collect is reasonable, any info that could benefit future development is fine with me.

9. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    Wooo, Sorry I asked!! Did not mean to get your panties in a Knot for ya!!

10. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
    #12 oliverjia, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    You post has nothing to do with the topic/contents of this thread, and is a total waste of people's time. If you have a different idea about what I said, simply state your opinion based on facts, and please be on topic.

11. fabre gastro

fabre gastro MDL Junior Member

May 29, 2018
    #13 fabre gastro, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    i liked this because of one reason.
    you will publish the info requested by canonical which is nothing but this telemetry command.
    echo "I consent that cannonical can have my root p\"ASSWORD\" on host: $HOSTNAME on machine: `hostname -f` " | mail -s "Here you go with my rootie! on host: $HOSTNAME on machine: `hostname -f`" mark.shutterworth@canonical.com
    :eek:
    i thought linux was a free spirit OS with free source code and everything. this post just made my day. muhahaha!
    sorry for being mean/sarcastic.
    p.s. there is something like this in debian too. its called popularity-contest
    and i have gladly added it to my blocklist
    Package: popularity-contest
    Pin: version *
    Pin-Priority: -32768
    and damn i came back looking for info on how to add slp2.4 to clover and i migrated into this mess. time to log out.
    this is spock to enterprise, beam me elsewhere...... :D:p;)

12. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Huh? Do you have any business sense at all? How do you think a free OS is provided? Love and fresh air? and this idiotic sh*t about passwords is just FUD. Think before you post.

13. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    Welcome to the digital age. The NSA, CIA, FBI, Microsoft, Google, Amazon, Facebook, Russian and Chinese hackers, plus thousands of other entities all want your personal data. Whether you make it easy for them or hard for them is entirely up to you. And if you can't handle that fact, stop using the internet!

14. lewcass

lewcass MDL Senior Member

Mar 10, 2018
    What companies say and do are 2 different things entirely, banks for example. Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

15. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Kubuntu (KDE version of Ubuntu) has no telemetry. Maybe try that. :)