Canoscan 5000F drives for W7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by yannis, Aug 6, 2010.

1. yannis

yannis MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2010
    #1 yannis, Aug 6, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
    After a succesfull W7 Ultimate (32 bit) installation there appears one problem: I cannot find or install a driver for my Canon scanner type Canoscan 5000F. It looks like Canon does not supply a W7 driver. Are there any altnernatives or work arounds?

2. dogleg

dogleg MDL Novice

Mar 19, 2009
    Hi yannis

I installed an old Lide 30 scanner to win7 the other day using the Scangear XP software in compatibility mode. The link below will take you to download page.

For compatibilty mode right click on the installer and select the 'compatibility' option then select 'Run this program in compatibility mode for XP'

3. dogleg

dogleg MDL Novice

Mar 19, 2009
    Sorry forgot to add the link - as below
    ://software.canon-europe.com/products/0000437.asp

4. yannis

yannis MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2010
    Thanks for the reply, however unfortunately none of the programs work; even if I try it in the compatibility way. It says " incompatible solution". I also include the official answer of Canon that I recieved today:
    Dear Jan Kok:
    Thank you for your inquiry regarding Windows 7 drivers for the CanoScan 5000F. We value you as a Canon customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist you.
    Unfortunately, Windows 7 drivers are not planned for your product.
    While considering the desire to provide the best possible support for Canon's current products in a timely manner, Canon must make decisions on which products to support when new operating systems are introduced. These decisions are generally based on the age of the product and the number of product estimated to be still in use.
    Yet if the decision is made to support a product, the development of new drivers must be prioritized on basically the same "need" criteria. This is why some drivers are not available until some time after a new operating system is introduced.
    We understand, and sincerely apologize for the frustration you have experienced if your product falls into either of these categories (no
    driver support or no immediate driver support), but hope that you will understand our rationale.
    I hope this information is helpful to you. Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with your CanoScan 5000F.
    Thank you for choosing Canon.
    Sincerely, George
    Technical Support Representative
    Unquote.
    I am afraid that I have to buy another printer/scanner (No CANON) or to go back to XP !