Can't access the internet with local area connection 2

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Xplay, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Xplay

Xplay MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2009
  2. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    rightclick lan connection 2, and go into tcp/ip properties.

now make sure your ip-adres is set right. What I mean is make sure it falls inside your homegroup :

if your router's ip is something like 192.168.1.1 then set your ip-adres for lan-connection 2 at 192.168.1.10 or something like that.

default gateway : fill in the router's address here...

gen555

3. buzz123

buzz123 MDL Junior Member

May 9, 2009
    Why do you need 2 NIC's?
    Are they add on cards or on mother board?
    Are you trying to use both at the same time?
    Or just testing to see if they both work separately?

Make sure they are configured to use DHCP to talk to the modem or router and do not have static TCP/IP parameters set.

It is a distinct possibility that one of the NIC's "went south" due to a surge or static burst. If it is an add-on card it is easy to replace. If on the motherboard, not so easy!

Another possibility is an updated driver for the bad NIC was applied and caused the failure... If this is so, you can try to "ROLL BACK" to the prior driver to restore its functionality. Go to DEVICE MANGER and find the NIC in question... Double-click to open and then click the DRIVER tab... See if the ROLLBACK button is available and if so you can restore a prior driver.

4. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    His TCP/IP settings are set wrong, that's all.

IP-address
    Subnetmask
    Default gateway
    DNS-server

Those need to be set right in order to connect with the router.

If you have MAC filter enabled, the mac-address of the nic needs to be added to the approved list.

5. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Don't set an ip in ipv6.

IPv4 is where you need to be.

So both are set to obtain ip automaticly, and one works but the other doesn't.

Go control panel (large thumbs view) -> network center

can you post a screen of that page ?

6. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    By any chance have a Firewall configured ?

Leave ip settings for LAN 2 on automatic.
    Disable firewall and try to connect again to LAN 2.

Could be the second network connection is getting blocked by your FW.

7. Xplay

Xplay MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2009
    Turned off windows firewall and still no connection :confused:

8. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Have you tried completely removing the second connection and drivers of the nic, and then starting again from scratch ?

I just have too little info about your router and network settings to fairly determine what's wrong.

9. Xplay

Xplay MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2009
    I just uninstalled the driver and removed the connection from device manager then plugged it back and let computer scan for it again and install the driver back and still no connection. Even with the router not connected and just going with a connection with just the cable modem it still wont connect which is strange because when I boot in XP with the same computer it works fine. So It must be with something in windows 7. What other info do you need that might help with this?

10. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Yeah, that's weird, but I've heard more issues regarding LAN connections in win7.

It has to do with the fact that win7 uses the new "HomeGroup" instead of XP's "Workgroup".

Complete listing of router settings and comparison of homegroup settings of both connections could help.

11. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Well, I have a router here, and eversince I installed win7, I put my connections in a homegroup, and never had issues.

For some reason, win7 needs a homegroup. Don't ask me why.
    Stuff like file and printersharing also don't work properly unless the LAN is in a homegroup.

So try to put both connections in homegroup.

There is one thing I remember though when using homegroup :
    a service called "HomegroupListener" gives an array of issues in some cases.
    Check in services.msc if that service is running (AFTER enabling homegroup for your connections).

If that doesn't solve it, I'm out of thoughts.

only thing (maybe) is a faulty cable, but you say in xp it works, so can't be then...

It would be much easier to troubleshoot if I had the machine in front of me.
    I could then do a divide-and-conquer to find the cause.
    Now I'm searching on hunches, which is nothing more then trial and error actually.

12. Xplay

Xplay MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2009
    Yeah just tried it and still doesn't work. I guess I just wont be using that port anymore. Thanks for helping me out though. It just strange how it been working until yesterday. I didn't install or update anything so idk how out of nowhere it stops working. I just hope this doesn't happen again wit the connection I'm using now. Anyway if I ever find a fix I'll update here. Thank again.

13. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    No prob, pall.
    Too bad it isn't fixed. I hate when that happens.

Good luck anyway. Hopefully you will find a solution.

14. wyrman

wyrman MDL Member

Nov 21, 2007
    It's not your telephone cable to the modem? I had one go bad for no reason and same thing occured.

15. Xplay

Xplay MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2009
    Nope. I have cable connection so it doesn't use a phone cable like dsl and I'm able to get online just not with local area connection 2 so it can't be a cable and both connections work booting in winXp.

16. wyrman

wyrman MDL Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Have you powered down the router and then power down the modem? Reboot plug back in the modem and then the router.

17. Xplay

Xplay MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2009