Can't activate win8 pro upgrade on fresh install.

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by MarkJohnson, Oct 31, 2012.

1. MarkJohnson

MarkJohnson MDL Junior Member

Jan 30, 2010
    I tried using this method:
    This works fine until rebooting and then asks for activation again.

I have tried three more times without reinstalling and the MediaBootInstall stays at 0 so it doesn't need changing. I type the slmgr /rearm and on reboot when I go to activation menu it says activated, but when I reboot agian it says needs activation.

Not sure what's going on. I thought it was a windows update at first messing with it, but it still does it even without any updates being installed.

-=Mark=-

2. littledebbie

littledebbie MDL Member

Aug 30, 2009
    You do not have to use the key on the upgrade...you can use it on a completely clean install of the OS...If I were you, I would just download the full Windows 8 RTM file and use your key to activate it..it's what I did..no upgrade horse crap..just a 100% clean copy from scratch...the "upgrade key" works just fine...

see the stickied: Windows 8 Repository
    for the download links..download Windows 8 RTM 32 or 64 bit..it includes Windows 8 Pro in it

3. SilverCircle

SilverCircle MDL Novice

Oct 31, 2012
    #3 SilverCircle, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
    Well, that's how I did it a couple of hours ago (previously running Win7).

• downloaded the RTM ISO (TechNet/MSDN, link can be found here on the forum in one of the stickies) and burned a DVD (without any modifications).
    • Purchased the €29.90 upgrade through Windows8-UpgradeAssistant.exe
    • Installed a fresh copy of Win8 on a different partition using the DVD I've created before - no upgrade, just completely from scratch with default settings (no settings or software taken from my Win7 install).
    • For installation, I used one of the generic product keys. See this thread: /threads/29322-The-Official-Windows-8-Repository - (sorry, cannot post links yet).
    • Activated with the purchased product key I received via email.

Pretty smooth sail and already up and running Win8. The only grip was that the email arrived with some noticeable delay (about 30mins after completing the order), but you get the product key immediately in the upgrade app and the receipt (just screenshot it or copy & paste it to a text file).

Must say though that my Win7 was genuinely activated (no loader, no OEM BIOS stuff etc.), but I don't think that makes any difference - if you get the product key + receipt + confirmation mail, all should be fine.

So yes, it seems that the "upgrade" keys are just normal retail keys and can be used with any installation medium, but it has to be a pro version.

P.S. I'm new here...

4. FattysGoneWild

FattysGoneWild MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    It activates fine when you have a live internet connection. Rather clean install or upgrading. If I am not connected to the net during install. It will not activate once Windows 8 is installed. Even manually putting in the key. Even MS advises a internet connection during install. Must have something to do with how they verify the key during install.

5. SilverCircle

SilverCircle MDL Novice

Oct 31, 2012
    #5 SilverCircle, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
    Well, don't think so.

In fact, I did not use the purchased key for installation and I was running the fresh Win8 for a couple of hours in non-activated mode (still with the generic key I've been using for installation and as expected, it told me to activate), tweaking things and checking whether my most important stuff will run. Only after I decided that all the things I really need are actually working, I activated with the real key (w/o problems at the first try and, ofc, I rebooted a couple of times to check if it will keep the activation status).

I don't think, the upgrade keys are anything special. They're probably normal retail keys. The only thing special is that you can only purchase them via the upgrade assistant which you'll have to run from inside Win7 or XP (though some people said it's possible to run the upgrade assistant from within a non-activated copy of Win8). What the assistant really checks - I don't know. Maybe it *does* check the genuine status of Win7 before it lets you purchase a key, but lots of people who were running Win7 with DAZ loader were able to purchase these keys, so I don't believe, the upgrader does anything special other than checking your hardware and apps for compatibility.

6. MarkJohnson

Jan 30, 2010
    Earlier I checked the activation menu and this time it said my key was already used and I had to call MS to auto-activate and now it is fine. Not sure why this thing wouldn't install.

Next time I'll be sure to use the RTM image I have. I was using the downloaded one as I figured it was newer/better.

Thanks for everyone's help
    -=Mark=-

7. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009

You were probably just the 4,000,001'st customer to activate. Just lucky I guess. It probably saw multiple attempts to activate in a short period of time which flagged it for phone activation.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. MarkJohnson

Jan 30, 2010
    Anyone know where I can get a copy of the win8 pro .iso? I keep getting errors in my log and constant beeping (although I never get an actual error message). I want to do a frsh install on my 240GB SSD. I was just going to copy the image, but this is too annoying. I think maybe my install is corrupt.

-=Mark=-

9. MarkJohnson

Jan 30, 2010
    I don't see a pro version to download. Will it show up in the regular win8 x64 download? do I need to make a special cd to reveal all of the different versions?

-=Mark=-

10. Puffingmad

Puffingmad MDL Addicted

Aug 19, 2012
    Pro and core are on the same ISO if you want pro you use the pro key for core use the core key i would presume if you purchases a key from ms its for pro so it should simply install pro if it doesn't take your upgrade key use the pro vl key both the pro and retail keys are in the first post of the link i gave you

hope it helps :D

11. MarkJohnson

Jan 30, 2010
    OK, I downloaded the win8 dvd and still it says I must upgrade first. How the heck are others doing this. This is so frustrating. :evil2::wallbash:

I downloaded th: en_windows_8_x64_dvd_915440.iso linked above. It recognized my key and said it was installing Windows 8 Pro.

I just can't figure out why others are successful.

Thanks for everyone's help. It is much appreciated.
    -=Mark=-

12. Puffingmad

Puffingmad MDL Addicted

Aug 19, 2012
    Are you doing a clean installation booting directly from the ISO it gives you 2 options one to upgrade and the to do a custom install you need to do a custom install this can only be done by booting from the install ISO

13. MarkJohnson

Jan 30, 2010
    Yes, I did a custom install, I probably should have tried upgrade mode, it peobably would have worked. lol

I seen silvercircle earlier posted he installed with a generic key from, "The Official Windows 8 Repository" then activated with his upgrade key. I tried both the generic retail and volume license keys and both failed.

Not sure what else to try.

I also used the full install option. In fact I secure erased my SSD every time with the newest version of Parted Magic to make sure it was clean. I let the installer format and partition the drive as well. Every time it tells me I have an upgrade key and need to have windows on my machine.

I'm just baffled why it refuses me no matter what I do.

any more suggestions?
    -=Mark=-

14. MarkJohnson

Jan 30, 2010
    OK, I have delved further into this as I get constant beeps from windows 8. I checked the event logs to see what I could fine and I get error code 0x80041316 Failed to schedule Software Protection service for re-start. It happens every 30 seconds and over 8k times.

it says source is Securit-SPP and Locale ID: 1033

I checked and it says windows is activated.

Any clues?
    -=Mark=-

15. MarkJohnson

Jan 30, 2010
    I'm really started to get totally pissed off. Now today I get a message saying I need to activate windows. Then it takes me to the activation screen and says my key is used on another computer.

I have two hard drives that both have this copy of win8 installed. So it's on the same machine.

what gives?
    -=Mark=-

16. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. Vanel

Vanel MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2012
    How is this relevant? I'm going to be installing Windows 8 via the method you provided, should I wait for my WMC key to arrive before I do the install?

18. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Feel free to try to install without the WMC Key. Unfortunately I could not wish you good luck by that because it would NOT work! Anyway, it's up to!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: