can't activate windows 7 (because of OEM bios?)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by d3l1, Sep 6, 2009.

1. d3l1

d3l1 MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    hi there, I have a old pc from FSC (Fujitsu-Siemens) with an Asus A8N board, AMD X2, Geforce 7800 GTX, Soundblaster Audigy ... all normal components except the mobo has a FSC branded BIOS and not the one from ASUS itself. Yesterday I wanted to reactivate that pc and installed Win7, everything was fine until I tried to activate. The preactivation kit reduced the grace period from 30 to 8 days, and any other loader I tried (I reinstalled Win7 several times to make sure I try each loader on a clean install) failed. I could see the different keys and certs that were installed using "slmgr.vbs -dlv" but it was never activated, it always said 30/8 days to activate, initial grace period, blah blah.
    Any suggestions? I'm not sure if I can flash the ASUS BIOS without problems, it shouldn't be a problem as it's a normal ASUS board, but who knows? And is that really the cause of all this?

I have one pc and one notebook with retail components and standard bios and both have win7 activated without any problems.

2. luxury54

luxury54 MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2009
    #2 luxury54, Sep 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2017
  3. d3l1

d3l1 MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    thank you very much for the help. but I have bad news. I created the new bootmgr file with the dell cert successfully and replaced it, executed the loader and restarted. the only thing that happened after the reboot was the white cursor blinking in the upper left corner. seems like the new bootmgr file isn't working :/ now I can't even boot into win7. seems like I have to reinstall before further tries.

4. Serxavi

Serxavi MDL Novice

Oct 7, 2008

If you have a blinking cursor after installing this, here is what you need to do to fix it

Put your Win7 CD and boot->recovery->command promt

Type
    c: (enter)
    bootsect /nt60 c:

restart, that should fix it.

5. kisame

kisame MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2009
    #5 kisame, Sep 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  6. d3l1

d3l1 MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    I tried Daz's loader, all three choices and none of them worked. I'll try to fix my bootmgr like Serxavi said in the next few days and report back to you.

7. d3l1

d3l1 MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    Well, I fixed the bootsector, Win7 is starting again but it's still not activated. I don't know what the issue might be, but every loader I try failes (Hazar's, Daz's, ...).
    And the only difference to a normal retail computer is the bios revision, it's a fujitsu-siemens bios for the Asus A8N mobo.