Can't boot from DVD or USB

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by OI, Jul 17, 2011.

1. OI

OI MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2011
    I have downloaded win7 SP1 and burned it to DVD and USB using win DVD USB download tool.
    In both cases when trying to boot from DVD or USB it starts the process of extracting files but then it stuck.
    at the end I have installed win7 after the system boot and all went fine.
    anyone have an idea how to solve it.

2. OI

OI MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2011
    Yes the download was from MDL and I have checked the hash before burning it.
    The burn speed was very low.
    the interesting thing is that is the same problem from USB and DVD.
    i have also tried win7 w\o the sp1 (from MDL hash checked) same problem.

3. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    Is it that after the BIOS screen you get a black 'DOS' screen and nothing further happens?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. OI

OI MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2011
    Yes they are freezing before loading the install, just after the files extraction

5. OI

OI MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2011
    It freeze after "windows is loading files"

6. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    Hmm. Its not what I initially thought. You seemed to go a step further compared to what I had to deal with last time. In my case, when I reached the point Press any key to boot from DVD - it would then freeze there. Turned out that in order for my 7 DVD to boot, it had to be Bootable/UDF. Mine was just Bootable/Joliet. So I used UltraISO to fix this :cool:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. OI

OI MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2011
    On other PC it works fine, it related to the specific pc.
    any idea what to do.

8. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    #9 x86, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
    Try entering BIOS setup and do a Load BIOS Defaults (or whatever else is called). Then, before you Save/Exit, remember to change the device boot order. I d try installing from the DVD if I was you...

If that doesn't work out for you, then its probably something wrong with the ISO/DVD recording. Remember that even if you burned the ISO and you got a success message - that's not 100% guarantee that the ISO is actually writen error-free. I remember there was a time that an old DVD recorder that I had - it used to write CDs/DVDs, reported them as 'burn successful' and the very same drive was unable to read the disc it just burned - and the actual disc could be read at any other PC :hypo:

So, copy the original MSDN image you got from MDL to your USB, copy it to another PC, verify its hash and then use a decent recording tool (i.e. UltraISO) to burn the image to a DVD. And try again o_O

9. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    #10 stayboogy, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
    there's nothing wrong with my machine that i am or have been aware of and the first time i installed 7 on it it did not reboot correctly after it copied and expanded all the files and the installation froze at a black screen. i just reformatted that partition and started it again and it finished properly the second time.

this exact same thing also happened on a dell laptop i installed 7 to. finished properly the second try.

don't have any clue why this worked like so for me, but you could be having the same similar issue, whatever it may be...

just restart the process right after it fails to finish if none of the other suggestions fix your problem.

10. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    :thumbsup: yes - I d always do that before installing Windows. Nice, clean partitions are less likely to cause issues during installation but even at a later stage.

11. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    well, it was formatted before the first try too, but no sense in leaving an obviously corrupt, incomplete installation there either before trying again... :p

12. OI

OI MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2011
    Thanks for the advise on the BIOS and the HD, I will try it now.