cant boot of usb stick - netbook?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by deezwho, Jun 2, 2010.

1. deezwho

deezwho MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2009
    Hi,
    I just bought the n1231 averatec netbook. When I try to boot the windows 7 usb stick I get a drive failure error of some sort... anyone seen this before?

2. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    When is the error exactly

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. kubato

kubato MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
  4. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Well, using Ultraiso is lot more better....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. deezwho

deezwho MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2009
    I used the usb stick making tool from microsoft ...

When I try to boot from usb at the bios startup menu it says:
    "A disk read error occurred
    Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart"

It's strange because I was able to boot from the stick on my dell laptop no problem.

6. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Same case seen in a old desktop, may be they are not able to boot from ntfs, better try Ultraiso....

7. kubato

kubato MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    #7 kubato, Jun 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
    Do you have a blank or empty hard drive, it looks to me that during boot, your HD is set to boot before USB or not booting off USB and passing to HD which is giving you the error. Double check your boot order, and or make sure you bios settings have USB storage enabled. F2 or f12 will allow you to select the boot device without changing your bios.

8. deezwho

deezwho MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2009
    well I couldnt figure it out so I just cloned my XP partition to a new one, then did a clean install over the 2nd partition booted from the cloned xp...

9. ideku

ideku MDL Novice

Aug 18, 2010
    use blank harddrive as flashdrive then boot on IDE or SATA, if you want to boot from USB please make sure BIOS setting is ready with bootmgr system.

10. goodstone

goodstone MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2009
    could be locked bios options. Some pc and notebooks has boot options locked so you cannot update o.s.

11. RCOO

RCOO MDL Senior Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Check if USB legacy support is enabled.