Can't burn double layer disk.

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by jetjock, Nov 18, 2011.

1. jetjock

jetjock MDL Senior Member

Mar 6, 2010
    I have a .mdf/.mds file that requires burning to a DL DVD. I first tried burning it with Alcohol 120% but got a failure notice at the 50% completion level which leads me to believe it failed to transition the the second layer. I then installed ImgBurn and tried it. After 1 hour 26 min. of hard drive thrashing and occasional DVD drive spinning, I got this failure: Set L0 Data Zone Capacity Failed! - Reason: Power Calibration Area Is Full

I Googled for that and most of the answers involved imapi which Win 7 doesn't use or firmware updates. Since I can't find any place on Liteon's Website to download anything, I can't do that either. I tried burning a single layer CD-RW with ImgBurn and it worked fine. I have also tried both of my identical burners which are supposedly DVD+RW DL capable and am using Memorex disks. Does anyone have any other ideas? Would it work to just extract the files from the .mdf using 7zip and just burn those files to disk?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. thethingy

thethingy MDL Senior Member

Sep 7, 2010
    .mds file, that not part of some copy protection mechanism?

3. evlad

evlad MDL Member

May 23, 2011
    this is disk image ...

did you try simulation ? (imgburn -> write image to disc -> thick box test mode)

maybe you can try with another program for: .mdf / .mds
    -alcohol 120
    -imgburn (dvd decryptor)
    -deamon tools
    -cdburnerxp

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
    No, that is like a .cue file for .mdf files.

5. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
    Guess you missed the part where I said the first thing I used was Alcohol 120%. :) I also tried a test burn, but ImgBurn only supports testing with DVD-RW, not +RW disks. I'll check out the other programs you suggested. Thanks.

6. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
    If anyone is interested, the problem appears to be with my Liteon burners or computer. I tried my wife's computer with a generic burner and the DVD burned just fine using ImgBurn.

7. sam8917

sam8917 MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2010
    How about dvd shrink?

8. glow

glow MDL Novice

Apr 30, 2008
    "burners which are supposedly DVD+RW DL capable and am using Memorex disks."

Some burners say they do DL but actually can't. You can get a Sony Optiac replacement for < $20-- today that will burn DL.

Memorex is a recipe for coasters. Stick with Verbatim DL which are now < $1-- each.

Use Nero & Burn at 1X speed with data verification.

9. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Burnaware or Imgburn will do the job.

10. shashikumar bhat

shashikumar bhat MDL Junior Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Replace your burner's data cable. I had a similar experience and after many a trial and error methods I found out the culprit was data cable.