Can't burn Windows 8 to a DVD (needs 4.83 GB)??

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by berryracer, Jan 3, 2012.

1. berryracer

berryracer MDL Novice

Dec 24, 2011
    I just downloaded the Windows 8 Developer Edition x64 bit and tried burning it to a DVD -R but my burning program is telling me to insert a Dual Layer DVD. Upon checking the image size, it appears that it is 4.83 GB where the max size on the DVD is 4.7 GB

Do I really have to get a DVD Dual Layer or is there a workaround for this?

Thanks

2. berryracer

berryracer MDL Novice

Dec 24, 2011
    I am currently using the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool to copy it to my 8 GB USB but this is very annoying that I can't burn the disc because it is slightly above 4.7 GB :(

3. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    Download a smaller size ISO.
    Like 1 w/o the Developer Tools included.

4. berryracer

berryracer MDL Novice

Dec 24, 2011
    oh crap! didn't notice that I downloaded the one WITH the developer tools until you said so

thanks a lot man

5. kyeahy

kyeahy MDL Junior Member

Apr 1, 2011
    You can also install that version from a USB drive, that's the way I did it. I'm sure you'll find a tool for that when browsing through the forums. Also think the smaller size ISO doesn't contain all applications and additional tools from the complete ISO. Also, if you're a normal consumer (no developer) I'd wait for the beta. It's only one month away and much improved and (end)-user friendly from the Developer Preview (hence the name Developer Preview)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. berryracer

berryracer MDL Novice

Dec 24, 2011
    Alright, thanks a lot, I hated the interface anyway, so I think I will be sticking to Windows 7 :(

7. PGHammer

PGHammer MDL Senior Member

Oct 14, 2011
    Another option (the smart option for dual-booting, actually) is to virtual-mount it (I use VirtualCloneDrive - however, there's no reason other virtual-drive software won't work, as it's standard-format other than the size).

The only difference is that you start SETUP.EXE from the \SOURCES folder of the mounted disk (so you can target the installation correctly).

The only quibble I've had in *all* my running of the Developer Preview has mostly to do with quirky applications (primarily applications themselves that are still beta or even earlier) - GM applications and every game I've thrown at it work just fine.

8. glow

glow MDL Novice

Apr 30, 2008
    Verbatim Dual layer DVDs now < $1- each.