Can't change boot priority from HD to SSD.

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by irishred, Apr 27, 2012.

1. irishred

irishred MDL Novice

Jan 22, 2011
    I had windows 7 installed on ssd when it disappeared from computer. I installed 7 in one of my other hds. Now I find that the kingston ssd failed often but installing new firmware would correct which it did. Everything that was on the ssd before failure is still there now. My problem is no matter how many times I changed the boot priority to ssd, it always the hd and not the ssd. What should I do, reinstall windows to ssd or what? My pc has ASrock z68 mobo, i7-2600k, 3 hds, 1 ssd 128gb, non raid set up. I also read that Intel rapid storage technology is causing ssd and hd to operate properly, is it neccessary to have? Thanks!

2. irishred

irishred MDL Novice

Jan 22, 2011
    Can't change the boot priority from HD to SSD.

I had windows 7 installed on ssd when it disappeared from computer. I installed 7 in one of my other hds. Now I find that the kingston ssd failed often but installing new firmware would correct which it did. Everything that was on the ssd before failure is still there now. My problem is no matter how many times I changed the boot priority to ssd, it always the hd and not the ssd. What should I do, reinstall windows to ssd or what? Both hd and ssd is still hooked up to computer. My pc has ASrock z68 mobo, i7-2600k, 3 hds, 1 ssd 128gb, non raid set up. I also read that Intel rapid storage technology is causing ssd and hd to operate properly, is it neccessary to have? Thanks!

3. RogerI

RogerI MDL Junior Member

Aug 9, 2009
    What if disconnect the HD and let alone the SSD and boot up your machine.

4. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #5 PhaseDoubt, Apr 28, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
    What error message, if any, are you getting?

I may have the terminology wrong, but you may have to select not only boot drive priority but also HDD boot order. All my BIOSs allow me to select the drive sequence (Floppy, Optical, Hard Drive and etc.), but I also have to pick which I want for the first bootable "hard drive" (SSD, HDD0, HDD1 and etc.). The two are not the same.

I have my boot priority set to check the CD/DVD drive first and hard drive second, but the HDD boot order allows me to select one of several hard drives. You'll have to bump your SSD up to be first here maybe.