Cant charge batt

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by azrul, Mar 3, 2010.

1. azrul

azrul MDL Junior Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Hai,i cant charge my laptop battery if it is on,and cant direct use the ac adapter.if rule out the ac n batt,what maybe is the cause?is there any possibility its cause by software?

2. WindDrake

WindDrake MDL Novice

Jun 2, 2008
    Assuming your Battery and AC Adapter were verified good by plugging them into another compatible Laptop, the issue is isolated to the Battery Charging Circuit on your laptop's logic board. Software CANNOT cause charging problems.

3. azrul

azrul MDL Junior Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Have to sent for repair if that maybe the cause.thanks.

4. jbeauchamp

jbeauchamp MDL Novice

Mar 15, 2010
    If it is a dell d600, either the bios or a chip (I'm trying to find out which here) verifies that you are using a real dell ac adapter (the pin in the middle of the plug delivers (very poorly) a signal from the chip in the adapter to a chip in the motherboard). If it decides you are not, it slows down the CPU and refuses to let you charge the battery. Of course, I think this is extortion and because they don't warn customers, I'd say it is illegal. My 1600mhz laptop runs at 600mhz, but I loaded it with nch to override that - can't find a way, yet, to fix recharging. Dell's answer is to buy a battery, oh, that didn't work? Buy an adapter, oh that didn't work? Buy a motherboard (OUCH!!). There are a couple of articles out there by 1 or 2 guys who have explored this. Very difficult, but 1 moved the chip from the adapter to the laptop and now doesn't worry about non-dell adapters or poor dell wiring that blows out.

5. WindDrake

WindDrake MDL Novice

Jun 2, 2008
    They use a really rudimentary SPI setup to communicate between the Board and the ACA. A lot of 3rd party AC Adapters work fine now that they can clone the transmission.

If with working AC Adapters, your PC isn't recognising them, there's a problem in the serial communications circuit.

All things considered, it's a ~6 year old Dell D600. Much like the IBM T4x of the same era, they have all sorts of stupid issues in relation to "Authorized" hardware.

Junk it, get a netbook.

6. azrul

azrul MDL Junior Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Im using an acer laptop.already meet with technician.he told me,it caused by main board.to replace it is quite expensive.better sell it n get a new one.

7. azrul

azrul MDL Junior Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Junk it, get a netbook.[/QUOTE]

that is what in my mind.

8. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    Laptops aren't designed for what most people are using them for. They are designed for portability, and this fact won't change anytime soon. Having a laptop sitting on a desk is a waste of money, you pay more for something slower and not as powerful as an 'equivalent' desktop!

The problem with leaving a laptop on power all the time is it doesn't do the battery any good, nor does the heat generated from the laptop since the cooling fans are on the bottom and often blocked by deskmats or people using them on their laps or beds etc! If you do use your laptop as your main machine, keep it cool and run it on batteries a couple of times a month, let them run down to hibernation then recharge completely with the laptop turned off. This seems to help greatly with the battery life. The exact same thing is valid for mobile phones, let them run right down so they switch off, then recharge them completely with the phone off :)