can't copy XP files during install on Nexlink laptotp

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by chuby2, Dec 15, 2010.

1. chuby2

chuby2 MDL Novice

Dec 10, 2010
    I'm trying to repair four Nexlink laptops (Z96F), while attempting XP install I keep getting can't copy this file and that file, never the same one. Tried different disks, tried custom install disk as described here, with oembios files for seneca bios, still does the same thing.

What's up with these Nexlink laptops ?

Please help

Thanx

Mike

2. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

Where did you get the XP disks? Do have original bought versions?

And how old are the laptops? And what condition are they in?

Can't seem to find that specific model at their website under notebooks/mobile, not the rest of the web either.

Maybe some of the disks are corrupted (if downloaded), it feels like it can't be the laptops in case they isn't from the last centuary or something.

Where exactly at the installation does it happen?

3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Try burning your disks a very slow speed some older machines cannot read cd/dvd written at high speed by modern burners.

4. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Bingo.:yes:.

these are read errors and should be remedied by lower burning speeds or different media. Maybe different software??

Sometimes the drive in the offending machine is not functioning properly (read:OLD!)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ Yihetuan, depending on age of laptop some older machines cannot boot from usb.

6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Sounds quite good :)

7. chuby2

chuby2 MDL Novice

Dec 10, 2010
    Thanks for responding,
    I used an Retail Upgrade w/o a service pack. Then slipstreamed sp1a and sp3, copied the oembios files into \i386. Burned a cd-r, it failed, then a dvd, it also failed. Tried with dvd drive from another unit, same bs, tried a usb dvd drive, same poo poo !

Model # is S96F NOT Z96F (MY BAD), product code AS96F945GM1
    They seem to be decent units, duo-core cpu, says built for XP, Vista compatible on Windows tag.
    They have 80gb pata hd's, with 17" screen. Would be nice to save them, hate to tell my customer they need to go to OEM for service.

Any thoughts ?

Please advise

Mike

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #8 urie, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
    You should have only slipstreamed sp3 you didn't need sp1a you also need to edit the setupp.ini file to OEM and you need to add Winnt.sif file. Did you try +R cd or DVD.

edit did search S96F seems they are Asus models did you get correct oembios files.

9. chuby2

chuby2 MDL Novice

Dec 10, 2010
    Thanks for responding,
    I used an Retail Upgrade w/o a service pack. Then slipstreamed sp1a and sp3, copied the oembios files into \i386. Burned a cd-r, it failed, then a dvd, it also failed. Tried with dvd drive from another unit, same bs, tried a usb dvd drive, same poo poo !

Model # is S96F NOT Z96F (MY BAD), product code AS96F945GM1
    They seem to be decent units, duo-core cpu, says built for XP, Vista compatible on Windows tag.
    They have 80gb pata hd's, with 17" screen. Would be nice to save them, hate to tell my customer they need to go to OEM for service.

This happens after formatting drive, file copy begins, gets to driver.cab then I get a msg that setup cannot copy dvdplayer.exe.
    I know the XP disk is good, I used it last week. I did the disk creation on another machine, same result.

Any thoughts ?

Please advise

Mike