Can't edit drive partitions...

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Deb_Rider, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Deb_Rider

Deb_Rider MDL Senior Member

Aug 21, 2010
    This is when I tried to install a fresh OS (Windows 8 Enterprise N) into an acer laptop with a config, i3, 4gb, 500gb, win7 ult. I can't delete or re-create any of the drive partitions. The options are disabled there.I first thought it might be a problem with the compatibility of the hardware with the Win8 operating system. So I tried to boot with win7 OS installation to delete all the partitions, but no use, got same problem with win7 too. No partitions are being deleted. So I started the system with the old win7 OS (installed in the system), from the disc management option deleted all the drives except drive C (of course the OS will not let me format or delete drive C :p ). and then reboot with the Win8 installation, created 2 new partitions, formatted C drive and then installed the OS. I needed to change the C drive partition size but I couldn't.
    Any idea what is the problem????

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Are you trying to delete from disk manager gui during setup? Press shift+F10 & use diskpart from the command prompt.
    to list your disks: lis dis
    select your disk: sel dis 0
    clean it: cle
    exit
    exit
    You should be back in disk manager gui, refresh & all should be cleared...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    You cannot delete your windows partition while logged into the same windows version that is installed on that partition.
    You can delete the partition while in a boot environment though...
    Try running boot setup from a win8 disk and doing what flipp3r just suggested.

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That's why I asked if you by any means locked the Drive/Partition? In Windows Disk Management, while doing a right click on the partition in question, what options you get and which are greyed out? This is the starting point for to find out! Only you could do that because of access to the machine!

6. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    does it work if you do the following commands in winpe?
    diskpart
    clean disk

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #10 pisthai, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  8. Deb_Rider

Deb_Rider MDL Senior Member

Aug 21, 2010
    I'll do that too...
    It's just, the owner of the laptop(one of my friend) kept too many data into the hard disk after I installed win8.. Now he is saying that, first he'll buy a External HDD after that he'll let me format the drives... :hummer:

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  10. montwel

montwel MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2014
    locked partition?
    kill virus and try partition assistant.