Can't find audio device

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by timesurfer, Aug 20, 2010.

1. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Hi this character at work somehow deleted the audio driver on a desktop with xp. So the computer I'm used to having audio now has none

1. It doesn't show in taskbar
    2. In control panel it shows no device
    3. And nothing in device manager

Can someone tell me what steps to take to get the audio device working again

Thanks for any one's time and answers ;)

2. 38956

38956 MDL Member

Jun 7, 2010
    If it's an onboard sound card then is it possible that it has been disabled in the BIOS

3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    You may need to go to control panel and try adding new hardware also in device manager enable view hidden devices.

4. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    I tried looking before this post but didn't see what you are talking about. Can you tell how to navigate to the audio part in the BIOS?

@urie

Thanks I didn't know about the "hidden devices"

I will also try adding new hardware ;)

5. 38956

38956 MDL Member

Jun 7, 2010
    In the bios look for something like "Integrated Peripherals"

6. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Thanks I appreciate your help

There was a small card that audio stuff seems to be plugged into with one wire coming out of it into the MB or PS I forget I only got a few seconds to look at before I had to put the tower back together so my co-workers could use it...lol

7. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Thanks guys for your help. The motherboard has like no support. It's called like lan**** something...lol

So I couldn't find the hidden device

Before messing with the BIOS I thought maybe I'd try something else

So I went to btjunkie.org and dl'd Driver genius and it found the driver and then windows enabled the device and it's working now

lol...Driver Genius of all things go figure :p

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Glad you got it going, :) Yeah Driver genius not the greatest but still the one i prefer if needed. normally for xp problem systems i use an Multi XP oem cd i made up with all the xp BTS driverpacks integrated you can still run the DP_Install_Tool.cmd from the dvd and it will scan and install drivers you can also make stand alone drivers cd/dvd.