"Can't find the file specified" when trying to rename or copy/paste files & folders

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by MonarchX, Aug 7, 2015.

1. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    #1 MonarchX, Aug 7, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
    Since the 08/05/2015 update I have been having problems with renaming, copying, and pasting files and folders. When I try to rename folders (almost any) I get "Can't find the file specified" error. How do I fix this? This happens only with recently downloaded files and folders. All previously downloaded folders and files work perfectly!

I found out that unticking "Read-Only" from folder properties does NOT work. It unticks it, but then I close the menu, go back into it and the option is ticked again! It appears Windows 10 won't accept my permissions or privileges to even disable "Read-Only" attribute.

Ran DISM RestoreHealth and SFC Scannow - problems were fixed, but my folder renaming issue was NOT fixed!

EDIT: I fixed it! I re-applied tweaks!!! I re-applied most of the reg tweaks from this guide. The ones that you put into .cmd file! It appears we may need to re-apply those tweaks after each big update!

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Take Ownership of files and folders you'll deal with upfront!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    #3 MonarchX, Aug 7, 2015
    (OP)
    No way! I never had to do this before AND every time I took ownership or anything in Windows 8/8.1 I ended up with severe permissions problems later!

I found out that unticking "Read-Only" from folder properties does NOT work. It unticks it, but then I close the menu, go back into it and the option is ticked again! It appears Windows 10 won't accept my permissions or privileges to even disable "Read-Only" attribute.

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    The security in Windows 10 has changed a lot compare to Windows 8 and older versions!!

I use to take Ownership all times using TakeOwnershipPro for that job and it works fine for me in Windows 10 Pro!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    I actually found out that unticking "Read-Only" from folder properties does NOT work. It unticks it, but then I close the menu, go back into it and the option is ticked again!

Here's the issue - these are just normal downloads, not some system folders. This issue has NEVER happened before. Why not? Something must have gone wrong!

6. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    This happens only with recently downloaded files and folders. All previously downloaded folders and files work perfectly!
    Ran DISM RestoreHealth and SFC Scannow - problems were fixed, but my folder renaming issue was NOT fixed!

7. rvnlord

rvnlord MDL Novice

Jan 20, 2013
    30 minutes ago I created very similar topic here, no help so far. I believe that the update messed up this registry branches:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions\

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions

It has nothing to do with read only attribute or permissions, from what I understand, with keys broken by the update, windows doesn't know where to look for the folders we are trying to rename or move.

My system is Win 10 x64 Pro upgraded from Win 8.1 x64 Pro and the Special folders were customized and hidden in This PC folder, after the update I ended up with unhidden special folders in this PC and duplicates of some of them. They had only their Unique Ids, but no names (example: duplicated Pictures Special Folder but with blank space instead of a name).

I am still looking for possible fix, if I find it I will post here. Good luck and if sb got some knowledge about this issue, we will appreciate any help. In the internets there are some outdated ways of resolving it, but they don't work in Win 10.

8. xman charl

xman charl MDL Junior Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Had same problem. Caused by this tweak: REM *** Disable MRU lists (jump lists) of XAML apps in Start Menu ***

Went back to older restore point, file thingy trouble disappeared.

Caution with tweaks here, as some are really bad.

Charl

9. rvnlord

rvnlord MDL Novice

Jan 20, 2013
    I am actually pretty sure that this is caused by update, cuz I applied tweaks long ago, and everything was working perfectly until the update.

10. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    FOUND something new! For me, this happens with FOLDERS and with .ZIP files so far, but not .EXE or .ASI or .DLL or .TXT files! I downloaded WinRAR.exe and it was working fine, getting copied and pasted, etc., BUT as soon as I renamed it to WinRAR.zip - it stopped working and I could not paste it or rename it!

11. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Has anyone tried to re-apply the tweaks after the update?

12. rvnlord

rvnlord MDL Novice

Jan 20, 2013
    Yes, I can confirm that.

I am going to import this two branches from my acronis backup from before the update, but I will do it tommorow its 4:00 A.M. here :).

/edit

I didn't reapply tweaks after the update cuz I am trying to resolve this issue first.

13. rvnlord

rvnlord MDL Novice

Jan 20, 2013
    #14 rvnlord, Aug 7, 2015
    I used only some of the tweaks and I used powershell cuz I didn't like everything, hope we can find exactly what is causing this, cuz you know :) reapplying like million things at once doesn't solve anything, I mean it does but we don't know what caused this.

/edit

Oh, I see in this guide you are removing special folders.

14. xman charl

xman charl MDL Junior Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Renamed some .exe files to .zip, worked
    Renamed some .zip files to .txt, .dll, .exe, worked

Try your delete key, as it stopped working, previous tweaks.

Charl

15. rvnlord

rvnlord MDL Novice

Jan 20, 2013
    I fixed it by deleting two entire branches I mentioned above and importing from before the update, I ended up agaion with duplicated special folders, searched them by GUID using Registrar and then removed.

16. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Which special folders were duplicated?

17. rvnlord

rvnlord MDL Novice

Jan 20, 2013
    Downloads and Documents

18. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    That did not happen for me...