Can't find where to buy Windows 8 Pro

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Shahe, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Shahe

Shahe MDL Member

Feb 25, 2011
    #1 Shahe, Jan 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
    Guys. I can only find the upgrade offer for Windows 8. Not a clean Buy. I do not own a previous Windows, so I cannot upgrade. Where can I get the Buy Windows 8 Pro offer?

2. noncentz705

noncentz705 MDL Junior Member

Oct 15, 2012
    w7 doesn't need to be activated at all to upgrade... Just install without a product key and run windows in trial mode ...
    You can close the upgrade assistant after purchasing your license if you don't need the iso...

3. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    #4 redroad, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
    The interpretation of the above is ultimately left up to MS and given all the trouble that rose out of the data,file mess and that we don't know what's in it, personally, I would want to give myself every advantage so that something won't come undone later . Ask all the ones who are scrambling after the latest free WMC activation mess what can happen .. It only takes a few extra minutes to run the loader and to be genuine and then move on and do your clean W8 install .. No one knows what's in the data.dat file so it just makes sense to do the extra few minute step to be on the safe side .. Just sayin ..

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    There isn't any need of even have Windows 7 installed, activated or not!

Just go to the next computer shop, and buy an Upgrade Package of Windows 8 Pro which cost 60 bucks and includes 2 DVD's (32bit & 64bit) and has the COA on the box and also the Key Card with Product Key!:D
    Or, to save 20 bucks, buy the Upgrade Key online from MS for 40 bucks and download the RTM ISO from the Official Windows 8 Repository here at MDL (look at the Stickies) either 32bit, 64bit or both (No. 1 and 3 of the first post) which let you install Windows 8 without the question of an existing older Windows! Just do a clean install and you're fine an legit!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    #6 redroad, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
    You and I have had this very same discussion before that it is not everyone who can do a clean install with an upgrade key and an RTM version of W8 .. So why given our discussion and reported instances of where a clean install as you suggest was not possible would you continue to advise someone categorically to do that ??

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    ALL the install done by myself and friends and customers alike, were going without a single problem using the procedure I posted. I also didn't know everybody, or better let say: real person, who admit they couldn't do a clean install just using an RTM ISO (or media build with that) and a Upgrade Product Key bought directly from Microsoft Website!

Said that, it indicates for me that those is a clean and working procedure which works with normal computers. For sure, there some out there which will face problem in many kind, also with activation or maybe using the procedure I suggest, I couldn't and wouldn't deny that. But counting more than 60 installations of Windows 8 pro, from which were more than 400 used Upgrade Keys over the last 2.5 month, without a single Installation problem software related, it clearly say's that the way I and also my staff is using, as well as my friends, is a clean fully working one.

I din't mind what you're thinking about that and I also think that's entirely up to me if I suggest way which are tested and working in hundreds occasions. And if you've different experiences, may you should start to deep check why some works for others but you! I'm not in an position to tell that what you post regarding this issue is true or not because: 1. I didn't know you in person and what you tell is true or not; 2. I didn't know the way you use to install OS's is the same as mine; 3. what hardware config you're using; and, and, and! And just to tell: I don't mind you believe me or not!

We're at the moment in procedure to install another 360 Windows 8 Pro with Upgrade Keys beside of the Enterprise Machines by a few customers using a legal KMS Server. And ALL of that 360 installation will be done using the procedure I posted!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    The MSDN RTM ISO is supposed to see the upgrade key as not valid and reports it as such in some cases but in other cases not .. I trust the input from others and what they experienced including yours because my reading is over a variety forums .. At the end of the day I concluded that a machine with a new or wiped drive with an upgrade key and the MSDN RTM is not going to always allow you to install clean .. Isn't that why those where it did not install clean had to resort to the Reg fix with rearm in order for them to have their upgrade key be accepted .. Personally given the data.dat debacle with the free WMC key and that we do not know what is contained in the data.dat file I would not even do the Reg rearm method given I have other choices like starting with another Windows version on the drive which is in compliance with what MS says are the rules of the game .. I was faced with this choice personally and I did try the method that was successful for you and others but did not have that option as I reported and as did many others .. My point is if you installed with the MSDN RTM ISO theoretically the install should have rejected the upgrade key .. Why it did not I do not know .. I however would not subject paying customers or anyone else for that matter to possible fails given that there are viable and legit alternatives and you personally know that you don't know what's in the data.dat file unless of course you have figured out it's content since the last time we talked ..

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I didn't use the data.dat file in any means, it's Off Limit for my staff and for me. Also, while installing Windows 8 we have one HDD connected only, if others in the same computer, the Data cable are removed and connect them back after the installation is done. Otherwise no any specials!

As I wrote, ALL installation's with Upgrade Key were going well without a problem using the RTM ISO (Technet download) (we use bootable USB Sticks) with adding the Upgrade Key on End of Installation.

Using the Upgrade ISO, even bought the Package with 2 DVD's, for the Key is asked on start of install and than asked for the old OS! That will not works as with RTM ISO. I tested that on my Laptop 2 month ago.

I run a company doing services for WAN and LAN and also run the complete IT Departments in some companies in Thailand. Do you think that I would "play" with those systems of my customers? For sure not! Before going life with such installation, we test them in our test environment and only after it passes, we going life at customers places.

I really don't know, what triggers the problems you have, but something must be quite different in what we both doing!

9. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    I don't see it as a problem .. I see it as the MSDN RTM ISO is working as it should by rejecting the upgrade key ..

I am not trying to disparage you or your skill set .. I am just trying to give the OP the most accurate information I can

10. Shahe

Shahe MDL Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Well. As I do not own a previous Windows version, I do not consider buying an Upgrade key. I would love a clean purchase. Any ideas for that?

11. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    You can call Microsoft.This is what i've done!

12. =)(=

=)(= Guest

#15 =)(=, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    I have noticed that sometimes when i install Windows 8 RTM MSDN, it will have MediaBootInstall set to 1, while other times it will have MediaBootInstall set to 0 after install. And i guess that's why it works for some people and for some it does not, because it sets the key to 0 or 1 randomly or something.

You can always change it yourself and use upgrade key.

Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\OOBE]
    "MediaBootInstall"=dword:00000000

13. parapher

parapher MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2012
    It would be good to finally know what is really going on with that. And it's not like it can be easily tested in VM due to hardware config being different. I was actually customizing an RTM build with my integrated Upgrade key but Win8 is giving me a hard time configuring it through AutoUnattend.xml (and also sysprep). It's mostly the account creation messing me up right now. All this was much easier for me with Win7, but maybe it's just me :) This is mainly why I'm not sure about this upgrade license issue yet as I haven't been able to get the custom image the way I want yet to install live.

14. Majestic

Majestic MDL Junior Member

Aug 3, 2008
    From Microsoft website:
    "Purchasing a full version of Windows 8

If you want to build your own PC and install Windows 8 or Windows 8 Pro, or want an additional operating system running in either a local virtual machine or separate partition (including a Mac), you can purchase the Windows 8 or Windows 8 Pro System Builder products (OEM versions). If available in your country or region, Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro System Builder products can be purchased at participating stores, you'll need to ask a sales rep for more information. This version does not include customer support."

Microsoft does not sell online Windows 8 Pro System Builder products (OEM versions), but a lot of computer shops now carry stocks of Upgrade as well as the OEM versions which cost US$139.99.

Another version is the full retail version which has life time activation, following a hard dsk failure, for example. I am not sure of the actual price, but it is about US$100 more.

15. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    For 139.99 you get in Thailand the Core/SL Version. The Pro version cost 199.99!

16. Majestic

Majestic MDL Junior Member

Aug 3, 2008
    Yes, you are right.