Can't Get Default Apps To Work

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by uffbros, Dec 9, 2022.

1. uffbros

uffbros MDL Senior Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Many people are having the following problem with file associations with Win 11 22621 including me. I use Irfanview for my pictures. In the program options I select all the photo extensions I want associated with Irfanview and select ok but it does not associate Irfanview to the files it still opens with Photos app. So then I try to change it right from the pic by right click..open with..but it only gives the option to open once and not for ever. If I go right to default apps and try it does not list .bmp,.jpg to even select??? So how can I make this program the default app for photos?

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Right click on image, select Properties, on General tab find Open with and select program, then Apply and OK. And so with all image formats what You want to open with your-selected program.
    If you want to do it through the registry, you have to make a choice for each image format separately. If the image format you want is not in the registry, you just need to add it there, and you also need to add the default opening program.
    It's been that way for as long as Windows has existed. Nothing new.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. uffbros

Aug 9, 2010
    Thats just it...there is nothing in there anymore to do that. And it's not just my machine. All my computers with latest Win 11 has this. Here is an example of a .jpg properties window.

Attached Files:

4. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    was this a upgrade or a clean install....you mite want to try clean install if you didn't mite solve the issue.

5. uffbros

Aug 9, 2010
    I upgraded from 10 long time ago so thats why I didn't have this problem till now.

6. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Sorry, but why do you put a picture of the Properties of this picture link, but not the picture own Properties?
    After all, you want to change the features of the picture opening program, not the features of the picture shortcut link.

8. uffbros

Aug 9, 2010
    That persons SFTA tool when I click on it either wit or without adm just blinks once and goes away..I guess I can just right click on the pic and open with Irfanview.

9. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Of course, you can with right-click to choose what to open with, but in your first post you talked about wanting to set IrfanView as the default image opening program? They are two different things.
    So what do you really want?

10. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    are using this machine on local account if you are make sure you enable the administrator account and use that account for yourself to have access to everything if your using your MS account make sure you have full control rights on all the files......if everything else fails backup everything and do a clean install maybe something happen during the upgrade from 10 to 11 something changed or got corrupted in the registry it sucks but it mite save you a lot of time and headaches....good luck

11. uffbros

Aug 9, 2010
    I want Irfanview to be the default pic viewer..I just described how in the past 25 years I had done it and it no longer gives you them options as described in the different posts above

12. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Open your images folder and post here screenshot of any image Properties General table.

13. uffbros

Aug 9, 2010

Attached Files:

14. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
  15. uffbros

Aug 9, 2010
    I did the .jpg registry file there and that didn't work and when I looked at the file associations...there is no selection for .jpg...Im gonna clean install Win 11. Thanks all

16. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    I only researched this thing online, I don't currently have Windows 11 on any computer myself.
    Yes, it is true that they have such a change there (read: bug there), but they have promised to fix it, but when it might happen is unknown.
    According to some users, the registry method works.
    You can also try it yourself very easily, if you open IrfanView, then open the Properties/Settings option in the Options table, then mark the option Try to change association in System Registry (for XP, Vista, Win7, Win8)
    Now select the ones you want to open in the table and mark them and click OK
    According to some users it adds and also Windows 10 and Windows 11 corresponding entries to the registry and it should work, unfortunately I can't verify.
    Recommendation - make a registry backup first.
    Irfan-Capture.PNG

17. uffbros

Aug 9, 2010
    First thing I tried in the Irfanview program was exactly that. I clean installed Win 11 and everything works now. Thanks again