Can't get to Crisis Mode! Need Help!

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by lazalem, Dec 16, 2012.

1. lazalem

lazalem MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2012
    Good Day!

I bricked my laptop when I flashed a modified BIOS and now it just turns on with Blank Screen, no beeps and just the LED lights.

I tried the Crisis Recovery Mode with all the possible buttons but nothing happened. The USB Flash Drive doesn't even light up.

So now, I'm opting to flash the BIOS chip with my programmer. However the bios file for my laptop (Y460P) is bigger than the size of the BIOS chip itself. The BIOS chip is a 32-Mbit or 4-MByte WinBond W25q32BVSSIG variant. Would it be possible for you guys to extract the BIOS itself that I would need to flash?

Another question, would it be possible to not completely desolder the chip from the mainboard? Just the VCC & GND would be enough?

Here is the BIOS Update that I would like to use:
    32-bit: hxxp://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/3fcn22ww.exe
    64-bit: hxxp://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/3fcn22ww_64.exe
    Thanks In Advance!

2. drewbug

drewbug MDL Member

Aug 15, 2010
    You should have the option to make a backup with your flash programmer. Please do that and upload the resulting binary file to a file-hosting site and post back with the link.

Also, if you still have it, it may be helpful if you could provide a link to the modified BIOS you flashed.

3. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    ebay.. SOIC 8 CLIP

i let drew handle the rest.. hes an expert. (NOT)

4. lazalem

lazalem MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2012

I'm sorry but the programmer is still a work in progress. I would probably finish it before the week ends. I wish to flash it with the official bios in the link I provided above. I would upload the requested backup after I finish my programmer, but I'm just curious as to why you would need the backup?

This is the link to the modified BIOS I used: bios-mods.com/forum/attachment.php?aid=3366

5. lazalem

lazalem MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2012
    Sir, if I use that SOIC 8 clip, would it be possible to connect my SPI programmer to the Flash Chip and save my BIOS to it without desoldering it first? Would it cause any harmful effects to the motherboard?

6. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    i would use a real programmer cheapest is EN25T80 .. not some home made unstable read/write type. read the chip 3 times and i bet 3 times its different.

yes most time u can us the test clip to read and write bios chip.. but sometomes other components make the read or write impossible, then u have to desolder.

bios-mods.com/forum/attachment.php?aid=3366
    (must be logged in to dload.. not all users here have account there.)

7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  8. lazalem

lazalem MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2012
    Thanks for providing the link.

I will checkout the EN25T80, hopefully by the time I received it the BIOS rom that I need would be ready. Hopefully from the official links provided above.

This is how I am going to do this:
    1. Use SPI Programmer & SOIC Test Clip connected to the Flash Chip
    2. If there are problems with the read/write, I will de-solder the VCC & GND PINS
    3. If there are still problems with the read/write, I will de-solder the whole chip

Hopefully the flash would be successful at first try since I don't want to de-solder the chip unnecessarily. Is this a good plan? Just want to confirm if this won't damage the M/B?

9. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    yes.. first make backup.bin

10. lazalem

lazalem MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2012
    BIOS Backup

Here is the backup: h t t p://w w w.fileswap.com/dl/Aal0yac6Cq/
    Zip Compressed backup: h t t p://w w w.fileswap.com/dl/koeZjwLg8k/

Can you tell me how you're going to reconstruct the BIOS from my backup? I'm just curious how the BIOS works.
    Can you provide me with 2 reconstructed BIOS? I want one from 3fcn2222ww and the other one from 3FCN17WW-wAES-Unlocked-Whitelisted.

I also found out that I have 2 Flash chips, one is connected to the EC and the other one I uploaded. I wonder if I also need to make a backup of the chip connected to EC. What do you think it is used for?

It would be great if I can revive my laptop just before Christmas!
    Thanks!

11. lazalem

lazalem MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2012
    This is the correct link for the BIOS 3FCN17WW-wAES-Unlocked-Whitelisted:
    h t t p://w w w.sendspace.com/file/i10lx6

The one above is corrupted.

12. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  13. lazalem

lazalem MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2012
    Sir,

Is the fix1.bin based on the 3fcn22ww bios or the 3fcn17ww-wAES-Unlocked-Whitelisted bios?

Original wph? are you asking for the wph I flashed just before my laptop died? If yes, it is this one:
    h t t p://w w w.sendspace.com/file/i10lx6. I think this is where you should do the merging?

I don't understand the other info in your post. Are you saying that the original wph is not correct? Are there any problems on the backup.bin I posted?

After a bit of research, I now understand that the backup.bin contains 2 parts:
    Part 1: Serial Number, Firmware, ME Code, Service Tag
    Part 2: BIOS code

Are you saying that the fix1.bin contains the "Part 1" extracted from backup.bin & Part 2 from the original wph file which is 3
    3fcn17ww-wAES-Unlocked-Whitelisted starting from the offset 00200000 up to 00600000? Are there any problems with the fix1.bin? What do you mean it is not a complete copy paste?

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

14. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #14 LatinMcG, Dec 24, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
    i didnt do whole bios copy paste to the match.. i did 2/3 of it. (was in a rush this morning)
    i used the whitelistless u posted thats why i asked for the original dload.
    basicaly if u use a hexeditor and go to offsets 00200000 and copy to 00600000 from the original dload then go to your backup.bin and paste from the beginning to the matching end (above BCÖñ.11....à...P in the backup.bin) that would be whole complete copy paste. then save to fix2.bin and try that

last line of bios.wph needed to paste to fix.bin end
    005FFFF0 é~þ...../.à÷ÿÿ..
    to fix.bin
    003FFFF0 é~þ...../.à÷ÿÿ..

anything in or below 00600000 in the original dload wph is extra stuff not needed

basically u got the right idea backup.bin is more than the bios.wph so u copy from 00200000 to 005FFFFF and go to backup.bin (end) offset 003FFFFF and paste from there to beginning

15. lazalem

lazalem MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2012
    I got dizzy....:eek:

Can you send me a file with the complete copy paste solution? I'll try to replicate the steps you sent above to create my own fix.bin and see if it would end up the same as yours.

Thanks!

16. lazalem

lazalem MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2012
    I also have another question, if all spaces in the chip are being occupied by the bios binary and they are locked then where do those configurations/changes I make when entering BIOS settings get to be saved?

17. lazalem

lazalem MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2012
    I'll try to reproduce this file using the steps you stated above. I hope I end up with the same results.

When you said orignal no mod, are you referring to the official bios updates? If that would be better for my laptop, I'll try that first and create the binary file using also the steps above. Unfortunately I won't have any file to compare the results to.... can you please send a fix.bin based on the origina no mod? :worthy:

18. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  19. lazalem

lazalem MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2012
    Thanks for helping me. I was able to flash my BIOS with the fixall.bin. My laptop is alive again. :biggrin: There is just one problem.... I've lost my serial number and other details in the BIOS Information page. But I'm fine with that, it is better than ending up with an expensive paperweight.

Thanks again for helping me. I really appreciate it. Enjoy the rest of the holidays!

I've got one question though, what is usually found inside the EC Flash chip. I've got another 2MB WinBond chip in my laptop, is that for backup BIOS?