Cant get Windows XP to boot from usb.

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Real327, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Real327

Real327 MDL Novice

Nov 16, 2011
    #1 Real327, Nov 16, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
    I started to install a fresh copy of Windows XP to an external usb hdd. Everything seems to go along just fine until the install reboots my system. Is there a step I am missing here ? When it reboots it begins to load and I get the bsod. I can take the hdd and install it directly into my machine and it will continue to install. Upon completion I put the hdd back into the external usb cradle and I get the bsod again.

I have altered the boot sequence to include the usb drive prior to the hdd. I have changed it from cd/usb/hdd to usb/cd/hdd.

I have been successful in creating a usb pen drive to load Ubuntu and Windows 7, but this truly vexes me. Any help appreciated.

I just tried to reconfigure the boot.ini and it all looked like it was going well and FAIL. I am back to square one I guess.

2. Real327

Real327 MDL Novice

Nov 16, 2011
    Thanks Sebus. Your second link doesnt work, but I will try your first and see if I cant get it to work.

3. colombia81er

colombia81er MDL Novice

Dec 2, 2011
    Question can i use a SD card instead of a usb ? Cause im trying to put XP on a EEE Pc 900 ( Linux ) and man its running but not as fast =/