Can't install Hyper-V on a Windows Server 2012 Standard Server

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by f4vr, Sep 5, 2013.

1. f4vr

f4vr MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2013
    We got out Windows 2012 Standard Servers from Dell but on only one server we need to setup the Hyper-V. First thing I've done is install the Hyper-V and created two VMs. One VM for web server and the other one for database server. Done with setting up our application and the three are able to communicate with each other. After doing the hardening on the two VMs, the setup is still working. But after doing the hardening on physical server, the Hyper-V cannot run the VMs anymore. After trying several solutions found on the internet, I'm still unable to solve the problem. And that's when I decided just to reinstall the Hyper-V. The Hyper-V is uninstalled successfully but got problems installing it back. After adding the feature on the Server Manager, the server will restart. After the first restart, the server will continue the configuration and during that time it will encounter an error and will revert it back. I've tried reversing the hardening but still no luck. When I looked at the event logs, I'm encountering this error "A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the vmms service.". Any idea why am I encountering this error and any solutions to this? I'll provide additional information if needed. Thanks.

2. f4vr

f4vr MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2013
    Yah. I should've done this on a VM first. Didn't know that it can break an integrated feature. Learned my lesson at my first time doing the hardening. I'm pretty sure that I already reverted back to the default settings. What I'm suspecting is I broke it while I'm trying several solutions I got from the internet on making the VMs work again. Can I use a normal Windows 2012 installer for reinstalling the server? I'm not sure if Dell done some modifiations on the OS so it is not advisable to use a different installer on the server.

3. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    You can install on windows 7 or 8 to access... your last option is only to restore it with current backup...

4. f4vr

f4vr MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2013
    Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean on install on Windows 7 or 8. If there's no backup made, can I use a generic installer for Dell servers?