Can't install Win8, why?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Anakunda, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Anakunda

Anakunda MDL Senior Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Greetings,
    I downloaded the RTM 64bit ISO and put it on my USB drive, rebooted and wanted to install it as secondary OS. The setup went up to the install type dialogue, I chosen custom install since I don't want to upgrade from existing Windows version. In the custom partition list I've chosen the 2nd partition on internal HDD which I prepared as 26GB big NTFS filesystem with default cluster size. Surprisingly the setup said it can't install it there without explaining why, with reference to see some setup log. Where is the log located, and what is wrong? The setup even refused installation when recreated and formatted the target partition using setup partition tools. It looks that the partition is OK but there's something else preventing setup from finishing, I need some more detailed information. I already have installed Win7 activated with BIOSmod and it works without any problem. Thanks for any guidance.

2. MISFIT---420

MISFIT---420 MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2012
    #2 MISFIT---420, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
    simple way around it is to install xp,vista or 7 in the partition you are wanting to install win8. after instillation do NOT crak/mod/or update it. simply put your DVD in ( ISO you ripped) and thats it simple as that. i dont know what the issue is i had the same problem on 2 out of 5 of my rigs. i did some research only to find no clear solutions and it come to me to try this and BOOM no issues. i also told many others that was having the same issue and it has a 100% success rate. gl and plz do post back if you got it.
    this is the EXACT way I and many others I told about this did it. Start your current os pop in a XP,Vista or 7 disk click install then the bottom instillation option ( sorry i forgot the title of it maybe advanced or custom instillation) click that then select the partition you are wanting to install 8 on then let it install. after you get to you desktop (when instillation is done) leave it on and pop in the Windows 8 ISO DVD and thats it.

3. bala_digital

bala_digital MDL Junior Member

Jul 31, 2009
    you should have got the infamous "we couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one" error.

if you have additional hdd or any removable drives unplug it or disable it in bios.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. JAYUNEENA

JAYUNEENA MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2008
    Instead of 26 gb partition ,use 100 gb...

5. woebetide

woebetide MDL Member

May 28, 2007
  6. Anakunda

Feb 6, 2010
    That's not possible -- setup launched from within Windows 7 only offers upgrade of current OS but I'm going to test this way on the workaround suggested by MISFIT--420

7. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    #7 Mr Jinje, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
    Any reason why you are not installing Windows 8 into a VHD file ? Wouldn't that avoid having to do any more partitioning. You may need to hit f10 during install to bring up a command window, then run a few diskpart commands to attach the vhd.

select vdisk file=c:\W8.vhd
    attach vdisk
    exit

Oh, before I forget, create the VHD by right clicking in the Disk Management / Computer Management mmc

8. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    look into the root dir of each drive and open $WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\setuperr ; see if you are able to find any hint.

If you have installed some other win8's you may have more than one $WINDOWS.~BT (each drive one folder); so check setup date of setuperr for the correct file.

9. MISFIT---420

MISFIT---420 MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2012
    All of you guys may be correct but the way I mentioned will work with no issues. I installed mine as a 3rd OS (XP Pro 1st , 7 Ultimate 2nd and 8 on the 3rd also my partition for my 8 instillation is only 25GB) my method is for a easy hassle free way around the errors people are having. sure it may take 20 extra minutes but it works not only for me but 100+ people i told about this and their friends.
    gl guys

10. MISFIT---420

MISFIT---420 MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2012
    I got that error on 1 of my laptops with only 1HD and nothing external connected so that is not the problem. funny thing is that I have 2 identical laptops all same hardware and 8 installed fine on 1 but the other nope had to install xp in the location i wanted 8 in then overwrite it with 8. that was the only way around it I could find.

11. Anakunda

Feb 6, 2010
    Hmm so I try to install Windows 8 as an Windows 7 upgrade. The installation process started and when reached about 30% popup message showed saying The setup failed with no seem of any more detailed information about the problem preventing the installer to finalize. On the destination volume there was about 28GB of free space.
    Any ideas?

12. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Check your BIOS Settings! If you'd changed some settings in your BIOS, you may face such problems. You could set the Bios to default or even best performance for to check. Don't forget to disable the floppy completely if you didn't have one connected.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. Anakunda

Feb 6, 2010
    #14 Anakunda, Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
  14. Anakunda

Feb 6, 2010
    I'm installing on C: (/dev/sda1) where's Windows 7 installed out of this OS and I have chosen to install updates first. About 28GB of free space at the moment. Installing from unpacked ISO to standalone directory (I:\HRM_CCSA_X64FRE_EN-US_DV5\setup.exe)

At least I think the setuperr.log has multiple errors. Now I should know which of these are only minor and which is the fatal.
    Deleted all registry entries for no more existing file D:\Microsoft\Visual Studio 10\Team Tools\Performance Tools\x64\vsperfdrv100.sys and retrying, not expecting this will make the change however. Most of the error log messages look somehow obscure for me :(

15. Winter

Winter MDL Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I had the problem. Switching to IDE from AHCI and vice versa didn't help a bit. Just delete all created partitions by the installation (MSR partition, Recovery and Windows) and let the installation make one single partition and it will install. Quite strange bug, I have two disks in my laptop, but Windows 7 installation works well.

You may try the newest build of Windows 8, they changed some things in the installation, might help IMO.

16. Winter

Winter MDL Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I had the problem. Switching to IDE from AHCI and vice versa didn't help a bit. Just delete all created partitions by the installation (MSR partition, Recovery and Windows) and let the installation make one single partition and it will install. Quite strange bug, I have two disks in my laptop, but Windows 7 installation works well.

You may try the newest build of Windows 8, they changed some things in the installation, might help IMO.

17. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    The Install Error: 0x80070020 is normally related to Updates for Vista and Windows 7.

Did you try to install Windows 8 on the same HDD as your Windows 7? If so try to start the setup from within Windows 7 and chose to install Updates first. Close the Install process and start again with it from within Windows 7. Now go ahead and try to install Windows 8 on it's own Partition.

Don't know it will works, I haven't tested that yet, it's worth a try.

18. tinux

tinux MDL Junior Member

Feb 26, 2012
    I would do a partition copy of windows 7(cloning) . once you have 2 copies then install win 8 while running windows 7 of course you will have old windows on that drive but you can delete it afterwards. This is how i did it on my son's PC.
    To copy or clone the partition use a free program called Partition guru while running windows 7. it is fast and 100% reliable. Let me know if it worked

19. Anakunda

Feb 6, 2010
    #20 Anakunda, Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
    (OP)
    Which build do you think? I'm using the RTM (6.2.9200.16384), dunno if it's the newest, can you provide a link to most recent ISO?

I'm launching the upgrade from current Windows 7 (one partition only which was already merged due to get more free space). I'm not having other partition now, all the rest of my drive is truecrypted partition which I can't move. Any solution? The current OS partition is 84GB big, I only can make it bigger by merging with pagefile volume which is 6GB)