Can't install windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by audison, Apr 2, 2018.

1. audison

audison MDL Novice

Dec 15, 2012
  2. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    If you already have Windows 8 installed, then you should be able to upgrade to 8.1 using the Windows Store, no? Or did you already try that and it failed?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. audison

audison MDL Novice

Dec 15, 2012
    Tried the upgrade to windows 10 also and it showed no compatibility issues all steps went fine until reboot it shut down (same if I try to install via dvd/usb)..
    Enthousiast lol yes but I was hoping that some people here know more than official support is vista. I don't know any forum where there are so many tools for windows modding and so on so I was hoping someone knows something that could help me get around the problem. If not than maybe time to look somewhere else.
    It's interesting to me that windows 8.0 works fine but windows 8.1 does not. What did they change in boot sequence or I don't know what so it become so incompatible that it does not boot anymore?

4. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Try older Windows 10 and see if it went through.

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    It could be a Hardware problem, means the Hardware is too old and not more supported for Windows 8.1 and later.
    With Windows 8.1 was a huge change with new Kernel which resulted in some problems with some attached components.

As I was looking at your pics, I saw you're using OCZ Memory on that Laptop. I had some problem with OCZ Memory on a Computer which I wasn't able to upgrade from Windows 8 to 8.1, which I could after changing the Memory to a different Brand. OK, that was PC Memory, OCZ DDR2 Gold Series, but the point is, I still could use that Memory in Windows 7 and 8, but 8.1, or on any Linux install!
    That said, I would suggest to 'lend' from a friend or so another Brand and working Memory for testing if you didn't have such, for to see that would be the problem. Note: do NOT buy new Memory BEFORE to be sure that problem would be solved, firstly test that a different one will works!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. audison

audison MDL Novice

Dec 15, 2012
    Thanks for suggestions guys will try with different memory and iso file.

7. 2cmp

2cmp MDL Junior Member

Apr 2, 2018
    I remember the 8-8.1 SCAM/FIASCO, when MS changed requirements on a sub version change, changing the rules in the middle of the game.
    A huge number of corps bought tons of 8.0 licenses and couldnt update to the minor version .1.
    The 8.1 upgrade fails on the PAE error message, mandatory on 8.1 support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12660/windows-8-system-requirements (cant post links yet)
    If i correctly checked your cpu he lacks the PAE.. cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_2/Intel-Core%202%20Duo%20Mobile%20T5750%20LF80537GF0412M.html (cant post links yet)
    PAE is also mandatory on W10.

As a note, a small SSD (60GB) or upper + WIndows 7 and that laptop keeps it up, that chipset was very good, and it as 256MB dedicated GPU with , wich simplifies certain things.

Rgds

8. 2cmp

2cmp MDL Junior Member

Apr 2, 2018
    #10 2cmp, Apr 3, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    Ok, story facts true but dont apply to your cpu/laptop, my X reading skipped your image link :(.
    But i did recovered not while ago a old "ESPRIMO Mobile V5515", wich is much worse that yours.
    While i had no problems in installing a W10 X64, i decided on W7X86.
    I remember that the SIS968 is a native RAID with a IDE emulation on some MBS (raid411a.zip), mb bios has option to select ide "emulation" / raid "native" ?
    Do you have the raid411a.zip installed ?
    If not, install it and you can test some options:

1) no bios change - 8.1 upgrade
    2) bios change to raid - 8.1 upgrade
    3) bios change to raid - 10 clean install

Rgds

Update: Your C120BX100SSD1 is indeed in ATA mode as i can see,
    and no AHCI option exist on this time/chipset AFAIK.

9. audison

audison MDL Novice

Dec 15, 2012
    unfortunately there is no option to change chipset mode to RAID or IDE. this laptop bios has very few options
    if it did had anything to change that would be the first thing to do.

10. mehdibleu

mehdibleu MDL Expert

Jun 14, 2017
    As said previously, if you were able to install win8 on your machine, there is no reason for win8.1 to not be installed, it should be installed as well.
    i haven't read all the previous posts but i noticed in one of your posts that you tried to install win8.1 using x86 arch, you need to know that installing windows 32 bits using GPT won't work as windows 32 bits cannot be installedmost of the machines with GPT.
    Have you tried to install win8.1 on legacy/bios by disabling both UEFI and "secure boot" ?

11. whatever127

whatever127 MDL PHP Wizard

Nov 9, 2012
    The machine of OP does not support UEFI so it's impossible to "accidentally" boot it in it...

12. 2cmp

2cmp MDL Junior Member

Apr 2, 2018
    Viewing your bios "IDE Configuration" picture, i remembered how to trigger the native mode, you notest the unsual "Third IDE Master" with [Hard Disk] ?
    I disable/removed device from those (ALL) to remove the ssd from ATA channel/mode, after saving bios on reboot, the usual RAID device detection showed up and detected the ssd/drive.
    But you better install the raid driver (raid411a.zip) first for the W8 boot, dont recall if w8 is able to boot wihout it (VISTA couldnt).

13. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    This might sound weird though. Can you try a different hard disk for the installation?

14. 2cmp

2cmp MDL Junior Member

Apr 2, 2018
    I rechecked the old "ESPRIMO Mobile V5515" and while last bios is from 2007, it as tons of options when we compare with asus did with this laptop (with a 2010 bios).
    It seems they locked the SB - SIS968 by hardware, as not a single option on bios to activate sata mode.
    Recent SOs detect/install (even if disabled on bios specially on old laptops) and will try to boot from the detected device.

Some possible workaround/test dont make much sense here, like starting installation on similar equipment and swap the ssd to the original laptop in the end,
    unless he as acess to a similar sis chipest motherboard (doesnt need to be a laptop).

But he could install a W8.1/10 VHD thru Vbox and attach it, update BCD and boot from there, or "VHD_W7_Compact" and similar projects using the several boot options avaiable.
    VBOX-VHD-ATACH-EasyBCD-reboot-test.

TBH, the GOODLY windows SEVEN is the best SO you can put in that laptop, for all the reasons from the past and still valid in 2018.
    XP+7 have something good in common even today, just like ME+VISTA+8+10 have too something... in common.

15. audison

audison MDL Novice

Dec 15, 2012
  16. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    Oldest PC I have personally seen running windows 10 (flawlessly BTW, all drives accounted for) was a HP rp5700 and that does not have official Windows 10 support, it does not even have windows 8 support.

The only suggestion I have here is based on what might be a driver problem. When you install 8.0 fresh, what drivers are missing according to device manager?

I would take that list, get their device IDs and download windows 10 drivers for them. Take those drivers and slipstream them into your windows 10 image and try installing again.

At best I give this procedure about a 5% chance of working. I am super stubborn and would probably try this, I get a kick out of making stuff work that seems hopeless.