Can't make changes to MSConfig

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by MonarchX, Feb 7, 2019.

1. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    I just saw a tweak to enable more CPU's/Thread's to be used during OS booting and it can be found in MSConfig Advanced Boot options. The problem is that I get an error when I try to save changes made: "System configuration cannot save the original boot configuration for later restoration. Boot changes will be reverted". I try to make changes in Safe Mode, but it didn't work. I also tried NSudo System and Trusted Installer permissions for MSConfig, but it also didn't work...

If there's another way to force maximum CPU cores/threads for OS booting, then I am all ears :D.

2. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    i never mess with it...but thats not really a tweak....i dont think it would make much of a performance deference if u running I7 with SSD and over 8 GIGs of ram.

3. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    It's clear that you won't get any effect from there, but it's also clear that if you cannot save the changes, there's something wrong with your Windows, in settings or with your rights. Are You in administrator rights when you want to make changes in settings?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    You're right to not mess with it. That msconfig cpu tweak doesn't make any performance difference on a machine I have with a 1.1ghz celeron with a mechanical hard drive, or on an I5 with an SSD. People just like to do it because they think it does something. I bought into the hype at first, then tested it and found out it doesn't make any difference.
    @MonarchX likes to chop up his installs, so there's more wrong than just with his settings or rights.

5. MELERIX

MELERIX MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2011
    its useless to modify that manually and select the highest number, because by default Windows already use all the cores during boot, and that setting is mainly to disable some cores for debug purposes.

6. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
    :tooth:

7. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
    ^^Which icon pack & customization software?

P.S. @Enthousiast might find your pc username interesting.

8. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    No specific icon packs - custom per-app selection to keep everything clean. I can share over PM if you'd like.

9. mooty221

mooty221 MDL Novice

Aug 11, 2016
    I'm also interested in your customization of windows