Can't open some Desktop Apps via Search results

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by yomoma2, May 2, 2017.

1. yomoma2

yomoma2 MDL Senior Member

Feb 27, 2010
    #1 yomoma2, May 2, 2017
    Last edited: May 4, 2017
  2. yomoma2

Feb 27, 2010
    I've tried it for the affected user account, but it didn't solve the problem. I guess when doing the previous in-place reinstalls, apps should have already been reset previously without a change to the situation at hand. Thank you, still.

3. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Reset the OS or do in-place upgrade with the same build version.

4. yomoma2

Feb 27, 2010
    #5 yomoma2, May 2, 2017
    Last edited: May 2, 2017
    (OP)
    Thanks for your suggestion, but please read my first post. I've already done an in-place upgrade without any change to the situation, twice even on same system, the second time without the 3rd party AV to exclude a problem related to it, so it isn't a solution.
    Reinstalling the OS from scratch (cleaned drive) in one PC solved it temporarily, so doing a reset will probably work but it's undesirable due to the need of re configuring everything. But since I've already faced this problem on two different machines (in the one I've done a clean reinstall the problem returned somewhere after an in-place re installation for other reasons), I'm trying to find a fix because it's something that has a big chance to pop again.

5. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    When I mean in-place upgrade I mean using ISO from another source(possibly downloaded from Microsoft official website). However, the problems seem to be emanating from the particular image you used in doing your installation, reinstallation and other.

6. yomoma2

Feb 27, 2010
  7. yomoma2

Feb 27, 2010
    #9 yomoma2, May 3, 2017
    Last edited: May 4, 2017
    (OP)
    The thing is that on a En-Us image, interchanging Portuguese Language (without English UI) to English Us Language with Pt input requires no download because the UI stays in en-us. And this happened both on a a machine where nothing else was downloaded for the language pack, and another that is running a portuguese ui from the downloaded from the language UI but only on other users (my accounts use en-us for ui with pt keyboard input) that didn't suffer a language change lately, so the problem doesn't show on those user accounts. Also, even if these machines were upgraded with the same iso, those isos were downloaded at different times. It'd be impossible for them both to have a false verified sha1.

I'll try an in-place upgrade with a pt-pt on the VM to see if anything changes, but I doubt it'll fix the affected user account. I'll report back.

Edit 1: It's not possible to do an in-place upgrade with another base language and retain everything, so I'll try an en-us Ent iso for the upgrade.

Edit 2: It didn't work, the search window on the affected profile remains corrupted after an in-place upgrade from pro en-us to enterprise en-us on the VM. Then reseting windows while maintaining documents solved the problem, but that's not the fix I'm looking for my currently affected accounts.

8. dmex

dmex MDL Junior Member

Apr 20, 2011
    I've noticed the same problem on my machine. Search doesn't return results for any win32 applications except for Chrome, Steam and Visual Studio - now that you mention it, nothing except 'modern' apps and those three win32 programs can be clicked or opened and most programs on the start-menu don't even show up in search at all.

I'm using en-au.

It could be the language pack or the 'blacklist' feature introduced on 15063. CDN replication bugs are very common - Cortana downloads a blacklist file after X period of time and if the files are corrupted it could very well introduce the bug (only for users downloading from the Oceanic CDN node)?

I tried that last week and after a few days it permanently stops working again.

9. yomoma2

Feb 27, 2010
    For the error on my side, it doesn't seem Cortana related because I have it disabled via policy, and isn't available for my physical location (Portugal). For now, I don't have any affected machines: one had a windows reset (VM with a single use), and the other from where I type had the affected user deleted and re-created.

The only thing in common on all the accounts it happened, is that they where running under a en-us image, and later after 15063 being installed, the language was manually changed from en-us with pt input to pt (under forced en-us UI) or vice-versa.

From th1 to rs1, after being setup en-us windows would set language to Pt (pt input), but on rs2 it'll be directly set to en-us with pt keyboard due to the second language screen, so I needed to change it for all machines to look the same. If I don't touch the first default setting after the 1703 installation/upgrade, I believe the bug won't show, but I'm yet to confirm (and post back if it doesn't').

Given that there's no En-au ISO, it probably has also to do with some UI change you have to manually make after installing windows or upgrading, and some time later the problem shows.

10. yomoma2

Feb 27, 2010
    #12 yomoma2, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    (OP)
    Well, I've found a way on how to NOT trigger the search bug after changing main language on W10 1703. In this particular case, when under a en-us installation creating a user and chaging from en-us GUI/pt keyboard to pt GUI/pt keyboard (again, changing from en-us gui/en-us keyboard to en-us gui/pt keyboard didn't pose a problem, while changin to pt gui/pt keyboard even without installing the language pack did). The problem is triggered when changing the language directly via the classic Control Panel\Language interface.
    If done via Settings\Time & Language, Region & Language by adding a language there and removing the previous, everything will be fine. And will be possible then to tweak other advanced options via the classic Control Panel\Language cpl.

Now for something unrelated, the pt-pt LP was messed up on 1703 after installing from the updated July .483 iso, and updating to .502 via wumt (confirmed also in a VM). Some Settings menus were showing unrelated text strings, as in the Start Menu config. The submenu where Start Menu folders are configured had wrong labels for them, and in the previous menu to access this config, instead of the equivalent to "Choose which folders appear on Start" in pt-pt, the sub-menu link was reading something like "windows activation". Then, strangely, the last CU appeared again as a required update and after finishing it everything was fine on the affected LP.