Can't recover from bios flashing gone bad on my HP dv9700t

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by brownie, Feb 14, 2010.

1. brownie

brownie MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2010
    #1 brownie, Feb 14, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
    ,I have a pavilion dv9700t with HP’s F.58A phoenix bios. I want to use an Intel 5300 wifi card with it, but, naturally, the bios didn’t recognize it and the boot terminated with error 104. So I removed the card and downloaded the modified bios, 30ccf59.wph, that I found on this site and tried to flash my bios. No joy; I bricked the computer.

So next I made a crisis recovery floppy disk created from a link on this site, substituting HP’s original F.58A bios, which is known to work, for the default bios in the download. Followed the normal procedure: 1) held down the win-B key combination while plugging in the computer, then 2) continued to hold the win-B keys while pressing the power key. The floppy would come to life and spin for 2 or 3 minutes during which time the system would beep continuously, then stop. I let it sit for another 5 or 6 minutes, during which period nothing happened, then removed the power, and in a minute or two, plugged it back in. Pressed the power button: Still a brick.

I repeated the above procedure 10 more times, generating a new crisis recovery disk with a different version of phlash16.exe each time (actually, I used phlash17.exe once). None of them worked. Some of them ran the floppy for a few seconds and some for a few minutes, but none restored my bios. I've now tried every version of phlash16.exe I can find, and several different bios'. Still no joy.

I’m obviously doing something wrong and I would be eternally grateful to anyone who could enlighten me.

Thanks,
    Brownie

2. sadsac

sadsac MDL Junior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    It sounds like you have tried everything suggested in the threads I have found on the web. The fact that at least some of your attempts result in 2-3 minutes of floppy access sounds like that the version of phashxx.exe is running and completely loading the bios file into memory. Perhaps after it is loaded into memory, the bios is recognized as not being compatible - and so it won't be written to the flash. I read one thread that suggested trying some older and newer versions of the bios instead, or perhaps the non-mod version of the bios that resulted in the brick - and maybe even trying the very same mod bios that resulted in the brick. There was some links to some patched versions of phlashxx.exe that are modified to bypass certain checks, but the links had expired. I'm sure you've done the same google searches and read the same threads.

So, I guess the next thing to try is different versions of the factory bios, if you can find them. Be sure to use them only with phlashxx.exe versions that you have confirmed result in 2-3 minutes of floppy access.

3. commando

commando MDL Junior Member

Jan 7, 2009
    is there a jumper on your mother board for clearing cmos ..... try it but first check hp site for its location ....
    usually present near bios password clearing jumper ...

you can go for bootable usb option also it might work instead of a floppy

4. brownie

brownie MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2010
    Tried the usb boot--no go. The jumper is a possibility, though. I'll look into that. Thanks.

5. brownie

brownie MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2010
    I have tried two versions from HP, F59A and F58A. No joy. Maybe I'll try an even older one. Thanks.

6. commando

Jan 7, 2009
    are u correctly naming bios files ....
    try various key combination ...not just win+b

7. brownie

brownie MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2010

I think so. I always named them bios.wph, which phlash16 requires. And I tried every key combination i could think of; only win+b got any action at all.

8. brownie

brownie MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2010
    I couldn't find a jumper and HP's site proved useless, so I removed the cmos battery overnight, which ought to accomplish the same thing. This morning I put it back in and tried flashing the bios again and, while it didn't work, it did provide a clue: the system did not beep while reading the floppy. Don't know what that means but it's encouraging.

9. commando

Jan 7, 2009
    well just try BIOS.WPH ....

10. brownie

brownie MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2010
    Well, I have run through all versions of phlash16 & phlash17 that I could find, trying to flash a BIOS from the HP website (not the latest one) for this computer, clearing the CMOS by removing the battery before each one. Lots of floppy disk action, no beeping, but no BIOS restoration either. Dunno what to do now.

11. phrunt

phrunt MDL Addicted

May 1, 2007
    I've got the exact same problem with a HP DV5000 after a lot of reading and trying I gave up, from what I found out HP disables recovery on some laptops for some stupid reason and I guess mine and most likely yours by the looks of it have it disabled.

HP told me I'd have to buy a replacement mainboard, hardly worth it.

12. sadsac

sadsac MDL Junior Member

Dec 5, 2007
  13. commando

Jan 7, 2009
    well dv9700 is laptop so it won't have jumper rather contact points(in my case it was slimline desk top for which bios password clearing jumper is shown on hp site) ........
    or better locate the chip and jump the pin as mentioned by "Sadsac"...

but do google for pins to jump and be sure as you do it ....
    best of luck !

14. brownie

brownie MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2010
    There are two contact points between the cmos battery and the chip, but I don't know what they do. I'll try to find out. Thanks.

15. sadsac

sadsac MDL Junior Member

Dec 5, 2007
  16. brownie

brownie MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2010
    Well, I gave up and got a new (used, actually) motherboard. It works, but I'm now in the same situation where I started: the bios whitelist won't let me add an intel 5300 wifi adapter. I wonder if it's feasible to remove/disable the whitelist or add this particular device to it with a bios editor rather than reflash the whole thing?

17. DV9000

DV9000 MDL Novice

Feb 25, 2010
    I applied the same bios update, the first startup went fine i got to the desktop, but subsequent bootups failed, it would randomly restart, sometimes i'd get as far as the desktop before it reboots and at other times i'd get as far as the boot menu.

I managed to get into bios and load the defaults, save and exit, this made my system functional, but at a cost, the DMI information is corrupted and the keyboard functionality is screwed.

[Numlock off]
    qwertyuiop
    asdfghjkl
    zxcvbnm

[Numlock on]
    qwerty456*
    asdfgh123
    zxcvbn0

Did you try clearing the cmos and seeing if the mobo would boot? taking the battery, power cable and the watch battery behind the ram slot cover and waiting a bit then putting it back and booting?

18. brownie

brownie MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2010
    yep. Waited overnight in fact. System still wouldn't boot. It did allow the crisis recovery floppy to boot and read without continuously beeping, but I still didn't get a functional bios.

19. jradomsk

jradomsk MDL Junior Member

Oct 22, 2009
    keyboard type is probably wrong.. you need the dmi tool for your mobo to set the correct options...