Can't remove read only....

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by 7winz, Sep 6, 2009.

1. 7winz

7winz MDL Novice

Sep 3, 2009
    When you go to you system drive, then select the user folder, you will see a folder with a lock.
    The lock means read only I guess.
    When you select the folder and press alt + enter or press properties, you will see that read only is applied to the folder, when you click it the sqaure isn't selected anymore.

When you press apply it asks you if you'd like top remove the read only from the main folder only or also the subfolders.
    It all goes fine until then... after it's done removing the read only and you press OK, you will see that that the read only isn't removed at all...
    When you go to the properties again you will see that.

This is a known problem, but does anyone know how to remove this pesky thing.
    (The permissions/security are all set right, on all accounts...)

2. paulsk58

paulsk58 MDL Novice

Jan 25, 2009
    Folders are never read only. The block that is filled in (not checked) indicated that there are some read only files contained in the folder or subfolders.
    The lock means that not everyone can read the contents of the folder.

3. 7winz

7winz MDL Novice

Sep 3, 2009
    Ya I know, but I also tried to remove the read only on some certain folders, beside the main one, and even that didn't work.

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    search forum for takeownership command

5. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    it's not a known issue or a bug or whatever it is the way that windows handles folders. For some reason it will apply the box to any folder. You can't get rid of it.

6. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    maybe you can delete the folder using the nt authority\system account.

1. download psexec from M$ Technet
    2. psexec -i -d -s cmd
    than type rmdir /S /Q FOLDERPATH