Can't Run Win7 Premium upgrade because plug and play and virtual disk will not start

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by rudedog97, Dec 16, 2011.

1. rudedog97

rudedog97 MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2011
    I have a legal Windows 7 Home Premium edition. It was activated and running fine. One day the non genuine apeared and plug and play shut down. I can still access windows. I want to run the upgrade from my disk but, it does not want to go because it displays "cannot communicate with the hard disks on this computer", this is caused by the virtual disk service not running, which is dependent on the plug and play service that is not running and when I start it it displays error 1053. I don't want to do a clean install, because all the software on this machine. Please help

Rudy

2. rudedog97

rudedog97 MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2011
    Great reply and fast. I ran the program and got a new windows flag background and the genuine vanished. Changing the key still does not work nor does the main issue. Plug and play service along with virtual disk still don't run and will not start same error 1053 along with this
    Windows could not retrieve information about the disks on this computer. Any help would be awesome. If anyone has the solution for this they are better than Microsoft Level 3 engeneers who can't come up with anything but clean install.

3. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    O dear sorry to hear that the program did not work, Maybe worth considering now a clean install. maybe with putting the time into that to get a 100% error free system, and should be really streight foward to do as you have the installation media. If the ms guys are stuck then its time to format and reinstall.

Good Luck! :eek:

4. rudedog97

rudedog97 MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2011
    It's not that. The first reply already acomplished more then they did. I spent a lot of time just pushing the service pack 1 with level 1. I had a novice level 2 tech. My comment was ment to be a compliment. They really did not do much beyond attempting to re-arm the licensing which worked with the program but, not with them. There are two other reasons. One I want to learn how to fix challanging problems with something other then the simple fix of format and start over. I am in IT and I hate it when that answer is given before all options are explored. The other and more important reason is that I am away from home at school for the next few weeks. I don't have all of my disks to re-install everything. I am limping along but, I am willing to try everything and risk braking it completly before I fold and reformat. So keep the tips comming.

5. rudedog97

rudedog97 MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2011
    I think the arming of the program worked but, the plug and play service does not want to start. I managed to delete it now, I need help restoring plug and play service. I found this trend but it's Vista is there a win 7 version?

To create Service:
    1. Click Start/Run/regedit
    2. Choose HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    3. Click File/Load Hive under display name you will find the name of theservice.
    4. Browse to *(See note below on this)* C:\Windows\Repair\. Double-click thefile
    called system.
    5. Enter the word "test" (without the quotes) in the box and click \services\PlugPlay/s /f"

b. Press ENTER

You should get "Operation completed successfully" or somethingsimilar as the
    output after each command

Restart the computer and check theservice is present again.

Hope it helps.

Thanks and Regards,

Srinivas
    Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

6. rudedog97

rudedog97 MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2011
    SOLUTION:
    H ere is how I fixed the issue. perform the steps in deleting the serivice as listed for Vista. Find a working Windows 7 machine and import the service. This is risky but, it worked perfectly.

Rudy